The backstory:
I want to be able to sell this embedded system that I'm creating, a large part of which relies upon an executable piece of software running under the windows operating system on a small PC board in the unit.

Software updates for the customer should be easily enough distributed as a new copy of the executable with the same file name. However, despite various copy/execution prevention measures in place to keep customers from simply running the executable on any hardware (thus partially negating the need to purchase the unit) I wouldn't mind disguising the fact that the file is a "plain jane" .EXE executable file to discourage customers from trying to run it on, say, their laptop.

I've tried simply changing the file extension to something else (e.g. filename.foo) but I can't figure out how to get it to run as an executable with the new extension. I've tried opening it with various programs (including explorer, which I though would have worked), but to no avail.

Is this even possible? It sure seems like it should be.

nirun commented: my friend introduuce me +0

I figured it out.

If you want to do what I mentioned above (have a file with a new file extension run as an executable), from the explorer view:

Choose Tools | Folder Options | File Types (tab) to view the extension associations.

Click the "New" button and choose the Advanced view.

Enter your new file extension and choose Application from the Associated File Type drop-down menu.

It's pretty basic and it seems like I've done it before, but if anyone else has this problem now, here's the solution. :)

Alternatively, you could do the same from the command line by typing:

assoc.foo=exefile

Where "foo" can be whichever file extension you wish to run as an executable.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.