I recently switched to AVG as my av, and shortly after started having poblems receiving email. Once in a while when I went to check my mail, the AVG email scan would pop up, and after scanning the mail it would indicate that I had an item followed by the usual mail annoucement tone, but I would find nothing in the inbox. I checked to see if the av had absconded it, but the virus valt was empty. Today when I went to check my mail it did the same thing, except this time it was followed by an error message with error: 0X800420CD, not having time to fool with it at the time I tried again later, and this time I immediately got the following message.

Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication. Account: 'mail.cwnet.com', Server: 'mail.cwnet.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Unknown command "AUTH"', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

I had wanted to try Thundrbird anyway, so I downloaded it to see if it would solve my problem, it didn't have the error message, but initially it would show that I had one unread message in the scan, but it would show no unread messages after that. I went to my ISP to make sure that there were messages being sent, and was able to read the messges there. I next tried sending a message to myself only to have the same results.
I've scanned it with Spyware Doctor, Spybot, Spyware, and of course AVG, with no results. Any one have an ideas?

I'm using Windows 2000 Pro.

Ok...I called my ISP tech, and he walked me through setting up my account again...this makes three times in the past five months...I received the test mail he sent, and there were no error messages. I haven't made any changes to the settings in the Outlook Express, so how's this happening? Is this a problem with my ISP, or do I have some weird sortware problem, or what? I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.