I have folders with tons of photos and graphics files in them. When I attempt to open some of these folders windows explorer resets or something -- if I try to pull up a file while in any of my graphics software it kicks me out of the software too. The error message says something about not able to acces memory (and then lists a long number). In examining the lengthy error message it mentions a problem with ntdll.dll (there are several of these files on my computer.

I was told to:

Start, Run, regsvr32 ntdll.dll

When I do this I get an error message that says "ntdll.dll is loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found -- This file cannot be registered"

I was then told to try:

Start, Run, regsvr32 samlib.dll (because ntdll.dll is dependant upon this dll)

When I do this I get the same error message. I have also tried using Registry Mechanic, but it found nothing.

It has also been suggested that I have a bad hard drive (I don't want this to be the cause obviously)

Any other suggestions?

I am running Windows XP on my Toshiba Satellite laptop with a Pentium M chip and I have installed Service Pack 2.

Please help. I need to get to these files to get my work done.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hi jsuits.

Rather than summarise the procedures you have been 'told to try' it would be more helpful if you would more fully relay to us precisely what that 'lengthy error message' actually says.

Please post the error message in full.

Actually, I misspoke. Most of the time I don't get an error message I was referring to the error report to MSN, when I try to open a folder with graphic files in it I just get a window asking if I want to report it to Microsoft. When I click on the details it shows the following: Error: Signature, AppName: explorer.exe, ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180; AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180, Offset: 00010f29, ModName: ntdll.dll. Sometimes I will get an actual error message that says it can't reference memory something and it gives a number -- unfortunately, I can't duplicate that error message this morning. I will try again later.

Could this be a bad section of RAM?

I just got off my laptop fighting with the same issue today that had popped up when I was going to burn CDs, and solved it by doing the following (any of the steps mentioned below might have helped, don't know which on exactly):

a) uninstall foldersize, the third-party app that renders the size of folders on the fly

b) deactivate CoolSwitch (taskswitch.exe) that was still listed as a startup process in my system, though I had uninstalled MS Powertoys a day before

c) stop RealPlayer 10 from connecting to the Internet

d) close the DesktopX widget K-Drives

Most probably it might have been foldersize running into trouble

Wow, that last post sounded like it made sense, but I don't have any of those things installed on my machine, my comments are next to each suggestion. Any input would be helpful

a) uninstall foldersize, the third-party app that renders the size of folders on the fly I can't find foldersize or anything like that on my Install/uninstall programs from the control panel. I also did a search for filenames like that and couldn't find anything like "foldersize" on my computer.

b) deactivate CoolSwitch (taskswitch.exe) that was still listed as a startup process in my system, though I had uninstalled MS Powertoys a day before I also don't have CoolSwitch on my computer, at least that I can find. when I do a ctrl-alt-del and look at the processes going I don't have CoolSwitch, taskswitch.exe, MS Powertoys or anything like those things running.

c) stop RealPlayer 10 from connecting to the Internet I didn't get to this point, but I don't have RealPlayer on my puter.

d) close the DesktopX widget K-Drives I have never heard of this nor can I find any of this on my computer.

Am I just misunderstanding or is that stuff just not on my puter?

Am I just misunderstanding or is that stuff just not on my puter?

Yes, that's it, all these apps have to be installed separately, they don't come with XP.

My problems began when drawing music files from a folder on an extern HD into the open F:\ window. Explorer would freeze while in the midst of it, producing the same failure message you got. (There would be some more "...and has to close"-messages coming up, too, but they've now stopped coming up as well.)

Well, try a last one - I also had Startup delayer installed, it's a small app that puts the startup program queue at order. Startup delayer was "corrupted", according to my Uninstaller program, so I deleted all of its remaining keys and entries and re-installed it.

You've got that app running? If so, try reinstalling it.

Otherwise, I'd guess I'd simply had some luck, in that something else causing the issue got unintentionally solved by all these activities.

got another idea. during the ntdll-chaos today, at a point of time I do not exactly remember, I did switch folder options from one-click to double click-mode.

Sometimes those easy little steps have consequences, too.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.