This is a tough one, when I plug a CORDED device into the front or back of my tower, I get a ding ding sound..The computer DOES recognize the device somewhat, however, the icon does not display. Anything Un Corded works. This occurred with a cord for a cell phone to transfer pictures to the hard drive..Same thing with a MP4.

My Printer however, Is corded and plugged in ....THIS icon shows on the system tray . Printer works fine..

I just dont understand the Corded issue mentioned above..

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Im' not sure what you expect to happen. Let's take one device at a time.

Tell us what the device is, and what Icon you expect.

if the 'corded' device needs its own USb driver (from a supplied disk) it will not work 'autoamltically) withouthat driverbeing installed
M!

if the 'corded' device needs its own USb driver (from a supplied disk) it will not work 'autoamltically) withouthat driverbeing installed
M!

Each device has its own rules. It doesn't matter whether or not it has a cord. You just happen to have corded devices that behave one way and uncorded devices that behave another way.

But part of the problem is how often the devices are used, and whether each one is used in a separate USB port, or if they are all plugged into the same port in turn.

The system remembers the last device used in any given port. If two devices are plugged into the same port one after the other, the system remembers the latest one used.

So your saying what ? Put the DISK in AGAIn and re install drivers, I BELIEVE i did that and it still did not recognize the cord>?

I want to be sure I understand what you are talking. Are you saying that a USB device like a wireless mouse or Bluetooth adapter works fine, but if the device has a cord there is a problem? I think I'm confused!

I want to be sure I understand what you are talking. Are you saying that a USB device like a wireless mouse or Bluetooth adapter works fine, but if the device has a cord there is a problem? I think I'm confused!

I am saying that each port remembers the LAST device used in it.

When you put a new device into the same jack, the computer forgets what was in there before.

The USB flash drives are so common and standardized that Windows now has a standard driver for them. It is easily found by Windows and automatically used.

Bluetooth is also so widely known and standardized that there is a standard driver for it.

If you use a stranger device (one that is not widely known or not standardized), it needs its own driver. Some devices have the drivers built into them in a ROM. Others use a disk.

My computer remembers my camera, and it has a cord. But the camera asks for its driver by name. Your devices might not.

Each of your USB sockets remembers whatever device was plugged into it the LAST time something was plugged in. It forgets anything that was plugged into it earlier.

You may not have to use the disk each time. You might need to just point the port to the already installed driver with Add/Remove Hardware in the Control Panel. Apparently your corded devices are not smart enough to do that.

Or just use a different USB socket for each different device. Then the computer won't forget.

MidiMagic,
That was a great way to describe the USB process, but I was refering to djm123's original post when he puts in all caps, "CORDED" and says that anything un-corded works. Sometimes people say one thing and mean another. At first, I was scratching my head thinking, "Why would it make a difference if the device has a cord, or plugs directly into the USB port?" In other words, what does HE mean by the terms he is using?

Having said that, I have found that when changing ports, it will only install the hardware from the disk on the first port. Each additional port you plug it into will not ask for disk (if it does there is a problem), but it will take the time to assign that driver to that port!

I guess the poster wants all USB devices to to behave the same (ie Put an icon in the System Tray) but as you indicated, they will all behave differently.

My point was slightly different.

I have noticed that, when I plug a MP3 player into the front port, the port then forgets what my camera is when I plug the camera back in, and vice versa (I have only one front port).

But I don't have to go back to the disk to get it again. All I have to do is either of two things:

1. Start the software that came with the camera or player. It knows what driver to use. Then, if I just want to drag and drop, I can exit that software and continue.

2. Go to Add/Remove Hardware and select the correct driver.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.