NB: This Tip only works on Computers running
Microsoft Windows XP (all versions)

Also you'll have to enable viewing of hidden folders on the PC. (You can disable it when you're done.)

STEP 1
Preparing the picture
Of course, you must have a flash disk to do this. Once you plug in the flash disk and open it via explorer, make a folder named "background" or anything else. put any picture you want in that folder, remember the folder and the picture's name, then right click at the folder, then click properties, then check the box beside "hidden" to make it unseen, and make your flash disk look neat. Of course you can place the picture you want to use in any folder you want, even existing folder. the only difference is the coding of the desktop.ini file at the next step.

STEP 2
Coding the Desktop.ini
Now right click anywhere in the flash disk, (not in the folder you've just created) and click new, then click text document. just ignore the new document's name (New Text Document) because it will be deleted later. Open it using notepad and use the 4 lines of code for the template:

[{BE098140-A513-11D0-A3A4-00C04FD706EC}]
Attributes=1
IconArea_Image=background\your image name here.jpg
IconArea_Text=0xFFFFFF

Then save it as Desktop.ini and delete the old New Text Document.txt
other filenames will not work.

STEP 3
Making your own color
The Color Codes:
It uses different code from usual HEX color codes.
the codes is 0x(first pair of digit is blue)(second pair of digit is green)(third pair of digit is red)
sofor example if you want to have blue use 0xFF0000

some of the codes that i know is:
0x000000 = black
0xFFFFFF = white
0xFF3300 = blue
0xFFFF00 = light blue
0x33CC00 = green
0xCC0099 = Violet
0x9900FF = pink

Making your own color
1. use paint (the one bundled with windows) and use "define custom color"
2. see the number at the right corner of the color window, convert all of thoose color to HEX. (i use scientific calculator)
3. use the method defined in the color codes section up there

STEP 4
Then you're done!
you're done. you can show off at your school's computer lab, in your friend's home or even in your office.

I can't accept credit for this tip though, as i stumbled across it while searching the net. I just thought i'd share it with everyone here at Daniweb, that's all.

Member Avatar for ak_2005

This is a really cool tip that I've been using for sometime now, but there is one major annoyance in implementing this in the root folder of your flash drive..

When used with certain older computers, or even newer ones with corrupt memory, which throw up a "Memory cannot be read at: ......." exception, you simply CANNOT access the flash drive!!! (at least not using the windows GUI)

So if you had to copy some important files from an OLD system in an emergency with just this flash drive in hand, then you are in for some major frustration!!

So if showing off is your motive, then I suggest using this trick only in unimportant folders in your flash drive.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.