I know I said this before but this time I'm serious. I'm going to reformat and start XP fresh and clean. Here's the deal though, slash current configuration setup. I have an 80GB Maxtor which is the primary drive, and a 20GB WD for backups, MP3s and pics. I have ANOTHER identical 20GB WD in my drawer from when I had a RAID-0 array (so 2-WD's and 1-Maxtor).

I'd like to get my raid array back using the WD's but one of the drives, as I mentioned, is home to all my backup stuff. SO.... Question.... If I transfer my backup stuff BACK over to the primary drive, get my Raid going and formatted with XP installed, will I run into problems booting up since my old drive (the maxtor) has an OS onboard still? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but maybe someone has a trick or something they can share with me. You might ask, well why don't you just put it all on CD/R? Well... because about 14GB of MP3's tells me that would take a LOT of disks.

Hope that all made scense.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I know I said this before but this time I'm serious. I'm going to reformat and start XP fresh and clean. Here's the deal though, slash current configuration setup. I have an 80GB Maxtor which is the primary drive, and a 20GB WD for backups, MP3s and pics. I have ANOTHER identical 20GB WD in my drawer from when I had a RAID-0 array (so 2-WD's and 1-Maxtor).

I'd like to get my raid array back using the WD's but one of the drives, as I mentioned, is home to all my backup stuff. SO.... Question.... If I transfer my backup stuff BACK over to the primary drive, get my Raid going and formatted with XP installed, will I run into problems booting up since my old drive (the maxtor) has an OS onboard still? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but maybe someone has a trick or something they can share with me. You might ask, well why don't you just put it all on CD/R? Well... because about 14GB of MP3's tells me that would take a LOT of disks.

Hope that all made scense.

well first off, id suggest moving your primary to a 20gb, and keep it ONLY for your most needed applications and windows it self.

use your other drives for backup. my current OS hd is just 20 gigs and it makes it a breeze to reinstall and backup :)

3hd's and one DVD/CDRW and you got everything youll ever need :)

well first off, id suggest moving your primary to a 20gb, and keep it ONLY for your most needed applications and windows it self.

use your other drives for backup. my current OS hd is just 20 gigs and it makes it a breeze to reinstall and backup :)

3hd's and one DVD/CDRW and you got everything youll ever need :)

Right.

And the 80gig shouldn't pose a problem once you take it out of the boot priority list, and make SCSI the one to boot from with your stripe set.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.