How do I move or backup my e-mails from Vista to a usb stick and then restore them from the USB stick to Windows 7.

Thanks,

Raya

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

How do I move or backup my e-mails from Vista to a usb stick and then restore them from the USB stick to Windows 7.

Thanks,

Raya

hi answer has more to do with what email program you are using than the fact that you are using vista ,

hi answer has more to do with what email program you are using than the fact that you are using vista ,

I am using Windows Mail. I will be installing Windows 7 tomorrow, but have to back up my e-mails because I am reformatting the computer to install the full Windows 7. I tried but wound up with my send/receive blocked and cannot receive any mail now. What do I do to get my send/receive working and how do I back up the e-mail folders?

Thanks.

Raya

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?mkt=en-ca&project=WL_Mailv3&querytype=&query=

type export mail into the search box , then go to import mail from other email program in the list ,follow info here to open top tool bar ,then go file /import /export
i got all this from the help button top right corner of windows mail ,go figure

not sure what you did to disable you mail as there is many things you could have done

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?mkt=en-ca&project=WL_Mailv3&querytype=&query=

type export mail into the search box , then go to import mail from other email program in the list ,follow info here to open top tool bar ,then go file /import /export
i got all this from the help button top right corner of windows mail ,go figure

not sure what you did to disable you mail as there is many things you could have done

Your instructions are confusing as I do not have another e-mail program and in what list. I tried to export my windows mail folders into a folder which I created and each time, all e-mails wound up with a long number, as follows: 6AE7458A-00000003 next to each message with different values but the same length. The program blocked because I tried to export the messages numerous times and finally my account was cancelled and I had to create it again and then got some 1600 messages. In Windows XP e-mail messages are stored in application data or message store. I do not know where the message store is in Vista and in App Data I found Microsoft then Windows Mail and in Windows mail, I found all my folders, but why the long number and will it disappear when I export to the USB stick and then import into Windows 7??

I hope you have the answer.

Thanks.

Raya

Your instructions are confusing as I do not have another e-mail program and in what list. I tried to export my windows mail folders into a folder which I created and each time, all e-mails wound up with a long number, as follows: 6AE7458A-00000003 next to each message with different values but the same length. The program blocked because I tried to export the messages numerous times and finally my account was cancelled and I had to create it again and then got some 1600 messages. In Windows XP e-mail messages are stored in application data or message store. I do not know where the message store is in Vista and in App Data I found Microsoft then Windows Mail and in Windows mail, I found all my folders, but why the long number and will it disappear when I export to the USB stick and then import into Windows 7??

I hope you have the answer.

Thanks.

Raya

sorry you find my instruction confusing .[my direction were for searching the help in the link provided ] go to the link in my other post and search on how to import export your mail .whats so hard about that , then link comes from windows mail ,when you open windows mail , click on help!

sorry you find my instruction confusing .[my direction were for searching the help in the link provided ] go to the link in my other post and search on how to import export your mail .whats so hard about that , then link comes from windows mail ,when you open windows mail , click on help!

searched for export/import but all I got was how to import into windows mail, no answer on how to export windows mail folders to usb drive. Any idea?

in my post # 4 you were to click on the link and then , i said to type in the search field "export mail ", you would of then got 9 results and i said to click on " import mail from other email program in the list" and you would have gotten instruction on how to show the tool bar in windows mail ,and instruction on going to file ,and how to export/import messages and accounts .then after you install win7 and windows mail you import what you saved .
you don't get to look at the saved mail ,you just save the files created to a thumb drive to import into msmail in win7 hope this helps ,good luck

my account was cancelled and I had to create it again and then got some 1600 messages.

Raya

If you got all those messages that means they are still stored on your ISP in-box if you can log on to your online mail storage you can down load the keepers and trash the rest. Other wise after up grade all will down load when you restart your mail client with same ISP account. Later---

I recently imported my e-mails from windows mail to windows live mail on windows 7, after mistakenly deleting my e-mails, but could not find recent windows live mail e-mails stored on windows 7. Where do I find them? and how do I backup all my e-mails onto a usb drive.

Also, I have used this to post a question, because I forgot how to start a thread and how to post a question, please tell me.

Thanks.

Raya

I don't use windows live so can't help you there. to post a new thread go to windows vista and windows 7 forum by going to top of this page- Mouse over Hardware&Software-select Microsoft Windows from drop down menu-on that page select windows vista and windows 7 forum - go to bottom of thread listings there will be a START NEW THREAD button. Later---

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.