I am running Windows 2000 and I am experiencing problems and I don't know what to do anymore. My system is running slow and stagnet. It is a PIII 256 MB RAM and a 20GB HD. I was getting virtual memory errors. Then the system started running slower. I deleted one virus and have removed numerous adware and spyware from the system. Yet it still runs slow. I noticed that there might be registry problems so I downloaded a registry cleaner and used that to remove additional errors on the system. Yet it still runs slow. I have noticed that the CPU percentage at an idle state is at a minimum of 24% when no programs are running. When I start to use other programs the CPU usage maxs out and the system shuts down some programs or stalls them. Norton is not detecting any additional viruses and I have no idea what to do. Please help :?:

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Additionaly, I tried to use the system tools to do a backup in case the computer crashed and that would not complete. Thanks

Hi,
Let's start with cleaning junk files first. Download CCleaner and install it. Run it, click "Options" button and here go to "Settings" tab and uncheck the option "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours". Click "OK" to exit from the Options and click "Run Cleaner" to start cleaning.

Next, download WebRoot SpySweeper Trial and install it. Run it, click "Options" button. Click "Sweep Options" tab, and here select all the Hard Disk Partitions. In the "Where to sweep" option box, select "Sweep all folders on the selected drives". In the "What to sweep" option box, make sure all the items are selected. Then click "Sweep Now" button and click "Start". Remove any malware it may find.

After this, perform an virus scan at Panda ActiveScan with teh "Disinfection" option enabled. Save the log file it gives, and post it back here.

Run Disk Defragmenter to defragment the hard disk, so that computer sppeds up. You can run Disk Defragmenter by going to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter. It takes a while to run Disk Defragmeneter. So please close all other programs before running it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.