Hello,

I have a computer that came with windows Me installed on it. I have had nothing but problems with it. Can I downgrade to window 98SE or do I need to upgrade to Windows XP. I have some win98SE licenses but don't currently have a windows xp license that is not in use. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Richard:sad:

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You cannot downgrade to Windows 98 without reformatting the drive (losing everything currently on the system) and then starting from scratch. Be sure to backup important files first!

On the other hand, you can upgrade your existing system to Windows XP or you can format and install WinXP the same way you can format and install Win98. This is a better solution because upgrading an OS doesn't usually fix existing problems - it just multiplies them.

Formatting is a quick 'n' dirty fix. Problems go away but you lose everything and start from scratch.

back up everything and go to either win2000 or xp anything under 2000 is a waste

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.