I have Windows XP in my computer, At any time while working with my computer.,it freezes., no mouse can be moved.,alt+ctrl+del doesn't work, and i have to re-start the computer. This is happening for a year ago, i had posted here early , but couldn't get proper solution. Sometimes i am making a file and windows freezes and file can't be saved. One of my friend said its a driver problem., and I downloaded drivers from internet rather from my driver cd., but problem is still not solved.
After just formating and re-installing windows.,this problem doesn't seem to occur..,after some days it happens.I know its not a hardware problem because it doesn't happen in linux. I'm in trouble..,please help me..Sorry for my poor english..

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hi Deepugtm,
There may be some registry errors on your computer. You can try to fix it with a registry repair and cleaner software (many of the cleaners also repairs). Some of them are free and most of them have free trials.

I think i have explained everything above and its not a perfect answer...

Tricky. When you formatted and reinstalled did you have other data or application partitions that were not formatted also, or did you later apply software from media that were recorded on your earlier OS?
I'm thinking rootkits here, hiding malware that is faulty, and which freezes your system.
Rootkit scans are easy, try Gmer. If it finds something it will let you know... and the suspect files will be in red. If it freezes while scanning, be alert; post back with your findings.
http://www.gmer.net/ : you want the Download.exe button [or zip file].

Tricky. When you formatted and reinstalled did you have other data or application partitions that were not formatted also, or did you later apply software from media that were recorded on your earlier OS?
I'm thinking rootkits here, hiding malware that is faulty, and which freezes your system.
Rootkit scans are easy, try Gmer. If it finds something it will let you know... and the suspect files will be in red. If it freezes while scanning, be alert; post back with your findings.
http://www.gmer.net/ : you want the Download.exe button [or zip file].

I Downloaded gmer.zip and extracted as gmer.exe. When I clicked on it, for few seconds it seemed like it's scanning something..,But after while i freezed.,and My computer got to run very slowly.,When i look at task Manager..,No process seemed ta acquire larger memory but CPU used was 100%, so i have to re-start Computer.,No solution I found..What to do...

Understood, deepug.... that does not always mean that you have an infection, but i find that GMER is usually a robust scanner.
[btw, when I mentioned suspect files/entries were highlighted in red in the Gmer reports, I meant suspect... firewall, AV and Daemon Tool's spdt also show up but are fine].
Could you run this for me, please, and post a log:
==download hijackthis: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html
-copy it to a new FOLDER placed either alongside your program files or on your desktop and then...
-in that folder start HijackThis by dclicking the .exe
-CLOSE ALL OTHER APPLICATIONS and any open windows including the explorer window containing HijackThis.
-click the Scan and Save a Logfile button. Post the log here.
Also...
==Download this file to your DESKTOP: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
.....or this file: http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe
-IMPORTANT! : disconnect from the web, turn off your Antivirus, Antispyware and Firewall for the duration of this scan. Don't forget to reset them before you go back on the web!
- to run it dclick the Combofix.exe icon and follow the prompts to start it. When finished, it will produce a log, C:\Combofix.txt - post that log in your next reply.
A word of caution - do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs reboot to restore the desktop.

Bad computer memory is one of the three main reasons for random system failures.. the other two are heat (usually caused by fans or heatsinks being blocked with dust) or power issues...
first...unplug case from the wall...open it up and clean out all the dust bunnies...be sure to clean the cpu heatsink fins up real good.....guide is here..

then lets make sure its not your memory going bad...get memtest + here....
the lowdown is here..

if you have a floppy drive you can get the 6th one down ...set the bios to boot from the floppy drive A:

first...then the cd drive then the Hard drive C:
or you can get the 2nd one down and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. click on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....
let memtest run for at least 2 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the RAM...no errors after 2 hours just press Esc to end the tests and we will try some other tests

go here and get everest home...install and launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

Heat and memory issues.... except that tthe OP reinstalled his OS. That is often the most intensive work many users' cpus and southbridges ever do. Works out memory, too. But memtest86+ will, by just running, stress those things also.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.