Recently when I reply to a text e-mail in Outlook 2003 (Windows XP) the format of the reply is in very tiny italics. Since it is plain text format, all the font choices are grayed out--I can't simply click on the italic button to change it. Although the toolbar says "courier new 10 -italic" and the zoom is at 100%, the appearance of the text is much smaller than 10-point and barely readable. This just started happening recently. How do I undo this, so that the reply appears similar to the received message? Thanks in advance.

Recently when I reply to a text e-mail in Outlook 2003 (Windows XP) the format of the reply is in very tiny italics. Since it is plain text format, all the font choices are grayed out--I can't simply click on the italic button to change it. Although the toolbar says "courier new 10 -italic" and the zoom is at 100%, the appearance of the text is much smaller than 10-point and barely readable. This just started happening recently. How do I undo this, so that the reply appears similar to the received message? Thanks in advance.

Ok, a little investigation reveals the problem is the default format in Word (which Outlook is set to use by default). For some reason, the default format for a new document in Word got set to Times New Roman 12/Italics, and again the view is shrunk to a barely readable size even though the zoom window says 100%. Any ideas how to reset this? (Word help refers to a "Format Menu" with a default option, but that doesn't seem to exist in my setup.) Again, this is Office 2003, using Windows XP.

Word had been corrupted, so that the default font was italic and superscript (!), which was what made it appear so small. In addition, the Format menu had disappeared, so there was no simple way to correct it. But I figured out by going to "Tools-Customize" how to get the Format menu back and reset the default font.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.