Hi, this is an emergency. my cousin had an old computer. his harddrive storages is only 8000mb. he had windows98 when he first got it. now he wants to install windows xp on that pc. but it got lots errors. finally i got to the point where its installin. but not even half way. its says cant be installed. i though its becuz hardrives 2 small. o i hurrily went to best buy and got an external hardrive andinstall. but it keeps errors and not workin. some say i86 error7. or curropted. wut can i do to install xp?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

now the installation is runnin. but at 3%, it came out another error. it says
installation cant copy following file:
plz mke sure u have ur installin cd in the comp.
or u may skip, but this will cause more problems in the future.

now i am on 7%. from 3-7% everytime it installs a ile comes out an error. i keep on ''esc'' on every file thats been installed. i remember that i was writing the cd key on the installin cd heavily with a pen. and it makes marks on the bottom. would that cause some files to corrupt and make these errors? do i need to get a rregular cd without anymarks?

now i am on 7%. from 3-7% everytime it installs a ile comes out an error. i keep on ''esc'' on every file thats been installed. i remember that i was writing the cd key on the installin cd heavily with a pen. and it makes marks on the bottom. would that cause some files to corrupt and make these errors? do i need to get a rregular cd without anymarks?

quite possible that you have damaged the disx by pressing too hard on it with the pen you were using. go soft on cds when writing on em.;)

try also getting an internal hdd thats bigger and install xp on that. 8000mb is way too small in this day n age

i got the external harddrive ith 60gb yesterday but its using usb. but during the installation, it doesnt react. so i couldnt install the window in the external harddrive.

nah, CDRs cost pennies :evil:

Hello,

Just some thoughts --

* If your computer came installed with Windows 98, unless you upgraded the RAM significantly, I doubt that you will get XP to run on it. Take DLH's advice and ensure the system is recent enough to run XP.

* STOP! Get the data off of the hard drive. You are quickly going down the path of losing it all. I certainly hope you backed it up before you started this quest

* 8 GB is fine for a C: partition. It might feel tight at home, but there are a lot of computers out there in the business world that need about 4 - 6 GB for their programs, and the rest of the data sits on a server.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.