Hiya everyone,

Right a few months ago i called in a company to sort out my pc as it wouldnt boot up, the guy said it was down to my motherboard (even though it was just over a year old!), so he changed it.
Recently the pc has been shutting down unexpectedly and a blue screen appeared.
i went into problems and solutions and this is what it says.............
1)
Consider BIOS upgrade
Microsoft is unable to determine the exact cause of this error. However, this problem was most likely caused by an error in your computer’s random access memory (RAM). RAM is the main internal storage area the computer uses to run programs and store data.

During the crash analysis, we noticed the basic input/output system (BIOS) version on this computer does not match the specifications for the central processing unit (CPU), also known as a processor, that is installed on your computer. This can occur when a newer processor is installed on an older system board or older BIOS. Using a BIOS that does not support the installed processor can result in Windows system crashes. Contact your computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer for an updated version of BIOS for your computer's processor.

How do I find my computer manufacturer?

Click the Start button , type msinfo32 in the Search box, and then press ENTER. Your computer manufacturer is listed as the System Manufacturer in the right pane of the System Information window.

Click to go online to see contact information for most computer manufacturers
Notes

Upgrading the BIOS version may require moderate to advanced troubleshooting skills. If you are uncomfortable with performing these steps, you might want to consider consulting with paid technical support.

If your computer contains an Intel desktop board, click the following link to go online for more information:

Intel desktop board BIOS update instructions
********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
2)
Address a problem with your computer
You received this message because hardware or software on your computer caused Windows to shut down unexpectedly and restart. This is a serious problem, commonly referred to as a stop error or blue screen.

If you have received this error more than once, we recommend that you do the following:

Back up your files to avoid data loss in case of a complete hardware failure.

Contact the original manufacturer of your computer to determine the specific component which is failing.

How do I find my computer manufacturer?

Click the Start button , type msinfo32 in the Search box, and then press ENTER. Your computer manufacturer is listed as the System Manufacturer in the right pane of the System Information window.

Click to go online to see contact information for most computer manufacturers
Additional technical information

Although we know the problem is caused by a hardware component, the error report does not contain enough information to tell us the specific component. It is likely that the problem is being caused by one of the following computer components:

Random access memory (RAM)
System board
Central Processing Unit (CPU)
Power supply

Do you think i can sort this myself? i got back in touch with the company who have said they will not sort the problem and to be honest i do not have the money to take the pc to another company.
oh also, i am having to boot up in safe mode with networking.
If you need to ask anything then please do not hesitate to ask....i dont bite!!
Any help would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Alison

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Member Avatar for W1ND0W5

OK, do you have any BIOS updates for your particular board?

Member Avatar for W1ND0W5

Do you have any BIOS updates for your particular motherboard?

i dont think so!!! LOL...where would i find out?
I know the basics with computers but im still learning so please be gentle with me!

Does your computer function correctly in safe mode with networking. I.e. can you
surf the net, write, save and print a file etc.. does your computer freeze etc..
In other words, does your problem go away in safe mode?

IT could also be an issue with your hard drive. A while ago i had an issue with my computer randomly getting a blue screen and shutting down on me. i figured out that it was a failing hard drive that was slowly losing sectors of system files.

Hello, alison. The manufacturer you want is the motherboard manuf. A simple tool to give you all the info you want without removing the case sides is ...
CPU-Z http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.54-setup-en.exe
I would test your RAM next, and the simplest tool to do that with is Memtest86+, from http://www.memtest.org/
-choose the download type you want [they are beneath the screenshots] according to whether you wish to run the test from a floppy or flashdrive. Or a cd burn....
-the tool runs from the bootable medium; you let it run for as long as you can bear - a couple of hours should do. Just ONE error is a RAM failure....
CPU-Z : post screenshots from the CPU, Mb and Mem pages.
The bluescreen gives important info. The actual error code and failing subsystem [process?] would be handy. If you don't have time to read it, cancel the auto restart on the startup options page when it appears [What do you want to do... Safe mode, LKG, Normal... page].
We'll go from there.

In safe mode with networking the pc works fine but as soon as i reboot nothing happens!
i got this info but i dont know if its any use.......
AMIBIOS Motherboard Manufacturer Identification
Version 1.4 (01/12/2004) Copyright 2003 American Megatrends, Inc.

This file has recorded information useful in identifying the manufacturer
of this motherboard. The information is listed below:

An AMIBIOS ID String Was Detected:
63-0100-009999-00101111-010507-P4M900
- ---- ------ ------
| | | |
| | | Chipset/BIOS Info
| | BIOS Build Date
| Manufacturer ID
BIOS ROM Information
AMIBIOS ROM Size: 512 KB
BIOS Build Date: Jan 05 2007
Motherboard Manufacturer Code: 9999 Not listed in MAN.DAT file

AMIBIOS Build Tag: A725500D
AMIBIOS Project ID: A725500D Not listed in TAG.DAT file

For more information on upgrading your BIOS go to http://www.ami.com/support/bios.cfm?refer=mbid
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SMBIOS info:
Manufacturer : Micro-Star
Product Name : MS-7255 V2.0
Version : 2.0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMIDIAG Suite tests and diagnoses every hardware subsystem on your PC!
A professional tool for developers, manufacturers and technicians.
Go to www.amidiag.com for more information on AMIDiag.

I tried to find an update but couldnt find a thing, its just a maze of gobbledegook!

If it works in Safe Mode with Networking then it would appear to be a software problem with the operating system. I would do a non-destructive repair of the
operating system. Insert your Microsoft XP cd in the the drive and boot to that,
it will lead you through a repair of the OS. If all else fails ... take your
data off the HD in safe mode and do a complete reinstall of XP. With the non
destructive install, you will still have all your programs, the other way ... they
are gone. Be careful...

In many cases it happens due to software problem then hardware problem. So chk that out first.

Hiya,
i booted up from the CD and done a repair (is that what you mean?) But nothing happenned! What is a non destructive repair?
Oh just to clarify something...my OS is windows vista premium.
Thanks for the advice, i really am grateful.
Alison

The problem of Continuous Re-booting of system or system showing blue screen at start up are not same thing.Problem of Blue screen on the system can be from any of the hardware such as RAM etc or operating system but continuous re-booting at POST can be from PSU or processor.but solution to your problem is that,try and load another operating system.if u have any problem, mail me here stone_0022000@yahoo.com

Windows Repair... you keep most of your applications intact, but lose all you security updates. Ugh. A last resort.... I would not call it exactly non-destructive. Nothing happened? It takes 20mins or so... and your sys gets slung back to the stone ages [some of registry is reset back to the one stored in system32\repair, which is probably the one saved when you first installed], and sys files are replaced with oldies. The pain...
Anyway, is it "better"?

stone, the email bots will be closing in on the addy you posted. Enjoy their attentions.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.