hi, im new to the forum and would like to introduce myself,, im student looking to do hands on system builds for better understanding,, im recyling used xp systems to friends who have little $$.. one i have has (primary?) logon/PW request screen, just want to get in, wipe clean and pass the system on,, if u can help,, much appreiaated!

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

First you need to get a copy of Bootable windows.

Second boot from CD and install windows and Format the Drive.

If you want to back up data Try Ubuntu Live CD. When it asks you click Try only and it will let you back up whatever you want and then you can format it and install Windows or Linux.

Don't ask me where to get Windows the only legal way is to go and Buy it.

thanx, finito.. i've got a student copy of OS to use on mycomputer,and not wanting to make duplicates on the 'repaired' sys's. my actual question is to enter the existing windows acct., delete 'old' files, set new user acct, & keep existing O/S intact, wipe the hard drive clean, except xp OS, and then pass the sys on. if not ethical i'll start new.. sG

Hmm so you have a password protected windows, You are asking how to bypass that logon, and basically Reset to factory Setting (No easy way of doing that).

It is a million times easier to just format and make a clean install.

If you wish to go that route please let me know.

thanx, finito.. i've got a student copy of OS to use on mycomputer,and not wanting to make duplicates on the 'repaired' sys's. my actual question is to enter the existing windows acct., delete 'old' files, set new user acct, & keep existing O/S intact, wipe the hard drive clean, except xp OS, and then pass the sys on. if not ethical i'll start new.. sG

to do that you would need to go to add and remove programs and uninstall all programs you don't want to leave on the computer ,get CCleaner to clean up all temp files and browser history,and registry entries ,then go to control panel/users and created a new user , then reboot computer and go back to control panel /users and delete the old user acct ,run ccleaner again ,and it should be good to go for the most part

followed link to hirensboot,, the dwnld link not active.. any suggestions? sG

Now I'm starting to wonder if you have the licence for the Windows on that machine....
If you did, you'd simply reinstall.

As i said in 1st post,, i picked up the 'used' dell at a church bazaar sale, w/ original key on the tower, it's user pw protected.. trying to conserve original ver of winxXP,have my own win7, but the box is designed for xp.... can i enter past this user pw?, or do i just 'buy' another copy of winxp? for this box?

http://www.hirensbootcd.net/download.html
Click on the download link,
Scroll down.
Choose what version, i prefer the newest version 10.5
above the drop down box where you choose the version, their are three choices,

Direct HTTP Mirror|Torrent|Torrent Magnet

click any of it depending on your type of download. Ive check the link its working.

" w/ original key on the tower". Well, grab an XP cd and reinstall with that key. There is no need at all to buy another XP licence.

thanx r22.. got it! i'll try it soon as i return home from AZ. happy computing... sG

I would suggest that you boot to Safe Mode.. ( tap the F8 key during boot)
then boot to Safe mode. An icon with Administrator should appear on the boot
screen. If you are lucky, they installer did not put an Administrator password
in, just go into the Administrator account and remove the password(s) through
control panel, users ... good luck.

Boot to safemode (tap F8 during boot sequence) At the log in window, An administrator icon should appear. Log into the Administrator account, if you are
lucky, it will not be password protected. Then you can remove any and all PW
through control panel, users...good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.