I have setup a new server at my office with MS Server 2003 Small Business with MS Exchange 2003 & MS Sharepoint. All are well functioning except MS Sharepoint where I can't access company internal site (http://companyweb/) from client PC. is there any setting that I'm not configure yet to make sure that the other client can access it.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I’m having the same problem – the sharepoint assigned a CNAME record for the “companyweb some how it is not been registered at the DNS zone. I have tried changing the type of record, security access, created new virtual folder and nothing has worked for me, except by adding the host name at the client computer. If you go under C:/windows/system32/drivers/ect you will see a file call "hosts" that you will be able to edit with notepad by adding the IP address of the server and domain name at the end of the file (192.168.X.X companyweb) – once saved you should be able to reach the site; however that is not the best way to do it. I really don’t know much about CNAME and child site – but the problem is right there.

hope some has a better or the right solution

ASD

I’m having the same problem – the sharepoint assigned a CNAME record for the “companyweb some how it is not been registered at the DNS zone. I have tried changing the type of record, security access, created new virtual folder and nothing has worked for me, except by adding the host name at the client computer. If you go under C:/windows/system32/drivers/ect you will see a file call "hosts" that you will be able to edit with notepad by adding the IP address of the server and domain name at the end of the file (192.168.X.X companyweb) – once saved you should be able to reach the site; however that is not the best way to do it. I really don’t know much about CNAME and child site – but the problem is right there.

hope some has a better or the right solution

ASD

I've tried to do as your advise but still can't solve this prob. The "Hosts" file that you said, is that .SAM file format? The contents as show below. I found it at C:\WINDOWS

# Copyright (c) 1998 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP stack for Windows98
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

for you information, I'm using Win 98 SE for client PC. Domain name is DOMAIN & server name is EDP-DEPT. Server IP address is 1.1.1.1. I don't know what else to do, & still need your help...

can i ask a question, if the sharepoint act the same function as isa?
i did not use the sharepoint. when combined with isa, i think you need to add the cname with www manually in dns and map it to web server.
and if the client is out of the firewall, the web server is still need a default gateway to answer client's inquiry. it is easily forgot.

SharePoint works under mysterious way as everything else in windows. The CNAME normally is part of A Record and the A record controls it has been added to DN Zone. Also tried converting this in an A record and adding manually the zone but it didn’t work either. While doing all this investigation have learned something new for those Windows 2003 Small Biz users – that apparently this will work better or by using 2 networks cards on the server where one will be for the extranet and the other one for the intranet. Because sharepoint by default is using the port as the default web site. But in my case I really don’t want to change this configuration – because this way should work too.

So EYA going back to you. You are using 98 – wow try to go to windows xp – just kidding. Under your Windows 98 go to that folder where I see you found it. And there where you see 172.0.0.1 Localhost go to the next line and type the Local IP where you have the sharepoint for example 192.168.1.2 and hit TAB and then type companyweb and save it – you can edit this file with notepad. If that doesn’t work try this – go to your web browser and type the name of the server for example (https://servername:444) that should take you to companyweb (all these should be done at the client computer) – if not check the port number under the IIS where you see companyweb under websites at your server.

I’m getting closer – so don’t worry – As soonest I figure this out I will let you know what to do – but let me know if any of this does not work for you, because then you may have a network issue or that computer is not been authenticated at the server.

Finally I can access companyweb from client. only with a small setting at DNS. actually I did a mistake at the first time I set up DNS where I did'nt put full name for host & domain. But I'm still glad if you can share any latest info on SBS 2003, Sharepoint or Exchange Server 2003 with me. Thanks for your help... :)

ohhh great you got it working. Yes I saw your post configuration at the other forum where I was going to comment about your IP configuration, but someone else pointed out. That is why asked you too post you ipconfig that help to understand where things are been pointed. Because the whole trick of networking is to manage and guide the data and if you have a miss direction will go somewhere else. In my case I'm running multiple domain controllers and Small Biz doesn't let other domain controllers unless there are 2003. My network configuration is more complex where I have a mix of legacy and my main controller DNS is a server 2000 where I do delegation to other servers. That's where my problem was. I knew it was related to the zoning however I focused in the configuration of the site and not in the integration of the client with the DNS. But definitely this forum and the other ones have been a great help and I will keep posting any new info that I get. What I like to call the reality IT virtual case posting.

Also I don’t know if you already did it – but I would strongly recommend to you, for not to use the ip matrix configuration that you were using. The most common ones are 192.168.1.X or 10.0.0.X – however they are not different whatsoever in which you should use one or any other; but the idea behind this – it was to distinguish or help to identify your time of network that you were connected. In large Network where you have multiples LAN the 192.168 was commonly used for web or peer-to-peer networks. 10.0.0.X was one of the first used; therefore, they are commonly used where you have one main controller. There are more like 172.16 that now is been used to distinguish VoIP LAN – and there many mores out there and they all work the same - but it just a suggestion.

Let me know if you have any questions with xchange I can also help you with that specially under SBS – it is really easy to manage that system specially webmail which is great tool, however, I’m a web programmer who happened to play and manage a large network :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.