Have a new Compaq desktop computer running Win XP Home. Randomly, it seems to freeze up: no mouse input, no keyboard input allowed (not even control-alt-delete). Have to hard re-boot to get it to run again.

Happens not only after awhile of sitting, but sometimes while doing work on it.

Any suggestions as to what to check?

TIA

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I would first make sure I am up to date on my MS Updates and drivers. I would then turn off any Power Options in the Control panel, turn off HD, sleep mode, etc. If that does not work start to look at what is running, look at your services or msconfig. Turn off stuff you do not need. Make sure you Virus Scan is up to date also.

If that does not work, I would search MS knowledge base or call HP/Compaq.

good luck let us know what worked and what did not..

Have a new Compaq desktop computer running Win XP Home. Randomly, it seems to freeze up: no mouse input, no keyboard input allowed (not even control-alt-delete). Have to hard re-boot to get it to run again.

Happens not only after awhile of sitting, but sometimes while doing work on it.

Any suggestions as to what to check?

TIA

Not a suggestion to solve your problem, but I have the same issue with my PC Clone, so it may not be Compaq related.

I can make it freeze at will by running Spy Bot or AVG, which I do as a test after I try the latest suggestion from someone, but still do not have a solution.

Good Luck with your problem.

Gazza :)

I had similar issues with XP Pro on a system I built. Updating my motherboard drivers fixed me up; you may also want to check for BIOS updates. I actually tried a BIOS update first but I still experienced lock ups.

1. Seems like problem with the harddrive or the memory

Try going to msconfig and click the "services" tab and check "hide all microsoft services" and then unchecked all the one's that remain and see if that works.........

1. Start===>run====>msconfig
2. click the "startup" tab
3. check hide all microsoft services
4. uncheck all the serivce remaining

I know your antivirus and/or firewall is prob. going to be in th elist just uncheck them for the purpose of doinga check cause it could be one of those causing it.

If that does not work then i would update the drivers or for to device manager and check too see if there is anything in there that is an EXACT DUPLICATE of another device and remove one if it is.

Then i would unplug and printers or anything like that cause that could cause it to freezes like that

Then i would try to do an CLEAN INSTALL of windows xp pro to rule out software and then start thinking it would be hardware. Cause Software fails more than hardware ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.