A friend who has XP home wants W2K Pro installed instead. Is it possible?
She has W2K disk only. If it's possible, how does one partition the drive, how large to make the OS partition, etc? She has 40gig HD.
Thanx for any help.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

It's almost automatic. Pop the 2k CD in, it should boot, it will come to a screen where it ask which drive you want to install it to and if you want to format, set it to what you want, and bam, your done. One thing to speed the install up just a bit is to go ahead and download all the drivers you'll need for this install. 2000 does not have the massive driver package the XP does, so you'll need to have these drivers onhand. I recommend downloading and extracting them to a CD, and then loading 2k. GL.

It's almost automatic. Pop the 2k CD in, it should boot, it will come to a screen where it ask which drive you want to install it to and if you want to format, set it to what you want, and bam, your done. One thing to speed the install up just a bit is to go ahead and download all the drivers you'll need for this install. 2000 does not have the massive driver package the XP does, so you'll need to have these drivers onhand. I recommend downloading and extracting them to a CD, and then loading 2k. GL.

Thanx for quick reply. I guess I should have asked what is a good size for the OS partition? Does the install actually ask if you want to partition?

Yes, you can set it in MB's. Need at least 2GB or space (671MB for JUST the OS, but who does that?). Depends on how many programs your going to install, and if they need to be installed on the same partition as the OS. If it's a 40GB drive, you can leave it all as primary, or set a 5GB boot, and the rest as a logical parition. Doesn't really matter on a drive of that size, just pick what you feel is right for you. If you partition the drive on install, let's say to 5GB, it will not format the other 35GB. You can do that after the OS is loaded through disk manager under administrative tools in Control Panel.

Just forget how right now but you can also move the program files folder to the bigger drive and change in the registry the default program install from C:\ Program Files to D:\ Program Files ,or what ever letter you second partition becomes .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.