Hello. When I turn on my computer, windows XP loads up and after the windows page where the computer shows the black screen with the windows logo and the bottom scanning icon the screen goes black and about 2 minutes later, the screen shows no signal and shuts off even though the computer is on.I recently removed my DVD burner and haven't replaced it but the CPU was working fine for 5 days without it. I've run malwarebytes and ad aware but found no issues. Please help. Thanks in advance for your help.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

..hi there!..try to clean your memory..try to reset them in there DIMMS..If the issue still continues, try to replace or swap a new memory to your old memory..i hope it helps!..^_^..

It is after that logo/loading video that graphics switches from 16 bit to 256? bit graphics driver. I could guess that there is something wrong with the latter. Try starting in Safe Mode which uses the 16bit graphics mode throughout, go into Device Manager and roll back your graphics adapter driver.
Update it.

Groan. It is after that logo/loading video that graphics is switched from the 16 colours [4 bit] to the 32? bit graphics driver. I could guess that there is something wrong with the latter. Try starting in Safe Mode which uses the 16 colour graphics mode throughout, go into Device Manager and roll back your graphics adapter driver.
Update it.

Hi. I don't know what DIMMS is Black. I did try to roll back the graphics adapter driver, gerbil but nothing happened. The computer appears to stop communicating with the monitor and shows "no signal" shuts down even though computer is still on. I can run it in safe mode. Should I run the windows disk and repair the master startup partition? It states that if I do, I may mot be able to access the current partitions so I haven't run it yet. Thanks for your help.

During POST [startup] try pressing F8 to get the Startup Options menu, then select Start in VGA mode.
You may then be able to reinstall your video driver from your chipset or graphics card cd. Because you can run your sys in Safe Mode, you could do this there, also. It does appear to be simply a graphics driver software problem... does you sys have integrated graphics [in the mb chipset] and/or a separate graphics card? What is the mb model?
"Should I run the windows disk and repair the master startup partition?" With regards to a Windows Repair, should you choose to do this, you most likely will retain access to all partitions and data files.. a Repair replaces windows opsys files and some of the registry, it tends to not overwrite data etc, even in the C drive. If by misfortune your partitions become lost we can reinstate those, generally speaking, if they are not overwritten. But because you then need to reinstall your chipset, graphics etc drivers, and all security updates, plus again access to a recent Restore Point to bring your sys back up to date why not try to reinstall your graphics drivers in the first place?

I'll give it a try and let you know how it went. It just seems odd that the computer screen goes dormant before it even gets to the windows logon screen. I tried re-setting the Master Boot Record but it didn't change anything

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.