At one point recently I booted up Vista and got one of those "possible corrupt files" (can't remember exactly phrasing) messages basically wanting me to run a full ChkDsk to correct the problem. Ever since, I keep getting the message that Windows Search (the service) is not functioning.

It is just amazing that after years, Vista manages to come up with new and inscrutable ways to fuck up.

Any thoughts on getting this service back? When trying to start the service I end up with "error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion." Also, I get LOTS of pop-up messages about it, inviting me to let M$ look up a 'solution' on line. Big "Heeeee" there, if it wasn't so sad.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Have you checked that the service is enabled to run automatically on startup and that the process is allowed to run? Go to services and features and make sure "Windows Search" is enabled. Also go to "Windows Features" and make sure that it is allowed. (I am using Windows 7 so those options may not be there).

Yes, I have attempted to start this from the services panel. That is where I get the error message that I've posted. I try and set the Windows Search service now to disabled just so I don't keep getting the G.D'ed pop-up messages that this service isn't working; would you like to send a message to M$, which seems to be about as useful as punching a 'walk' button in Manhattan. The entire function is screwed up in some way.

if it told you to chkdsk then i think you should.

im using win7 but this (the following) might be available on win vista ...

-go to control panel
-go to system and security
-go to troubleshoot common computer problems (thats whats written on win7 and its under ACTION CENTER )
-then go to system and security
-then go to search and indexing under WINDOWS
-click on advanced and 'Run as Administrator'

and let microsoft do its magic (although vista doesnt really have that much magic)
and by the way, this is for win7, not sure if win vista put troubleshooting in the same place, but search for it!

...mark as solved ... if solved

if it told you to chkdsk then i think you should.

im using win7 but this (the following) might be available on win vista ...

-go to control panel
-go to system and security
-go to troubleshoot common computer problems (thats whats written on win7 and its under ACTION CENTER )
-then go to system and security
-then go to search and indexing under WINDOWS
-click on advanced and 'Run as Administrator'

and let microsoft do its magic (although vista doesnt really have that much magic)
and by the way, this is for win7, not sure if win vista put troubleshooting in the same place, but search for it!

...mark as solved ... if solved

I am still running Vista (sob!! M$ should admit that this was at BEST an alpha proggie and give us credit to a real and functioning OS -- like that's gonna happen). At any rate, your solution only works in the world of 7. So, nowhere NEAR solved. Thanks for looking tho :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.