I'm opening myself up I suppose, but is the firewall in your router not enough to cover most drop-ins.

Thanks, BuddyB

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Nothing is ever enough, Anymore ,The bad guys find there way around everything

Nothing is ever enough, Anymore ,The bad guys find there way around everything

CaperJ is correct. If someone wants your info bad enough and they know a few things, there is little you can do besides disconnect your connection every time you aren't actively using it.

As a rule of thumb, I do not store personal information on my main HD's. Instead I have a external HD that I turn on when I need to work or store personal things and turn it off when finished. It may be a little crazy but nothing is overboard nowadays.

~Trezier

As a rule of thumb, I do not store personal information on my main HD's. Instead I have a external HD...

Hmmm, this would be a good use for those keychain USB drives! I am considering buying one and this sounds like another good reason (encrypted file of course)

GrimJack

How about those piggyback units that you install into the case, then you can just plug HDs in. I think they're called Kangaroos.

BuddyB

not sure about the kangaroo idea, seems good in older days but the problem though is that you have to shut down the computer, plug it then restart. Seems better to me to get a extranel HD and use the very flexible USB

As a rule of thumb, I do not store personal information on my main HD's. Instead I have a external HD...

Hmmm, this would be a good use for those keychain USB drives! I am considering buying one and this sounds like another good reason (encrypted file of course)

GrimJack

USB Thumbdrives are really useful. I have one that can store up to 250MB. And its plug n' play. After you plug it into a free USB drive, a new drive letter pops up for the USB drive.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.