Hi, I don't know very much about computers so bare with me and hopfully i will be able to figure this out. I just go a P4 3ghz prossecer, 512 mb ram and i am running XP Pro sp 2 . I don't know what the problem is but my computer will start lagging real bad o i will try to restart hoping in might work itself out and instead of restarting it gets stuck at the "Push F2 for setup and F11 for boot sequence". I have checked the Mother board temp and it is running at a steady 42 and the Cpu temp is steady at 58 degrees. I don't even know enough to take a guess at what it might be so any help would be great.
Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

sorry i should tell you all about my computer
Pentium P4
3 ghz processer
512 mb/ram
Video Card: ABIT R9200SE-DT Radeon 9200SE AGP8X 128MB DDR
HD: 80 gig western digital
DVD/CD burner
audio is on board

Hi, I don't know very much about computers so bare with me and hopfully i will be able to figure this out. I just go a P4 3ghz prossecer, 512 mb ram and i am running XP Pro sp 2 . I don't know what the problem is but my computer will start lagging real bad o i will try to restart hoping in might work itself out and instead of restarting it gets stuck at the "Push F2 for setup and F11 for boot sequence". I have checked the Mother board temp and it is running at a steady 42 and the Cpu temp is steady at 58 degrees. I don't even know enough to take a guess at what it might be so any help would be great.
Thank you

The problem is either the HDD is not detected or the boot sequence is not set properly

Press F2 or Del(which ever key is specified) to enter into setup and check whether HDD is detected and see whether the boot sequence is set to HDD

The problem is either the HDD is not detected or the boot sequence is not set properly

Press F2 or Del(which ever key is specified) to enter into setup and check whether HDD is detected and see whether the boot sequence is set to HDD

No the hard drive is there because if i turn the power bar off and leave it for a half hour it will boot up again and the boot sequence is fine every other time that i boot it up so I don't think it is that. This only happens once in a while not all of the time. Also it is F2 that is set to enter setup but when i push that or F11 (change the boot sequence) it will change and say it is load the respective function but it wont load it wont do anything. Thank you for your input though i appreciate it more then you know

No the hard drive is there because if i turn the power bar off and leave it for a half hour it will boot up again and the boot sequence is fine every other time that i boot it up so I don't think it is that. This only happens once in a while not all of the time. Also it is F2 that is set to enter setup but when i push that or F11 (change the boot sequence) it will change and say it is load the respective function but it wont load it wont do anything. Thank you for your input though i appreciate it more then you know

We cant directly come to a conclusion that a particular component is faulty,

There may be several reasons
CPU overheating, faulty SMPS, cables, BIOS etc.,

Ok remove the CMOS Battery and place it again this will set the BIOS to default, now start the computer press F2 to enter into setup, set the time date, detect the HDD and the Boot sequence to HDD bcoz it is set to Removal Drive after u remove the battery

I have the same issue with my computer except that everything starts but there is absolutly no boot process, the monitor doesn't turn on as if there is no input signal. I know a bit about computers seeing as I built mine, and I've never seen a computer do this before.... Some one please help me!!!

I need it to work!!! My life is on that computer, I need it to work!!! HELP ME!!! PLEASE!!!! U____U

hmm
well if you have spare parts try to swap them and see if something doesnt work
but i know a very simple solution to test if everything works
grabs yourself an Ubuntu Live cd
and try to run it live
if it runs ok
it means the hardware is mostly fine
but the best way to test it is trying to install ubuntu and running it
if all is well then i would recommend you reformat with a windows xp cd
make sure you back up your most important data
[NO IM NOT TRYING TO CONVERT YOU TO LINUX , JUST DO IT AS I SAY]

but the problem is that it doesn't have a boot sequence and without the boot sequence I can't try to run linux, there is no activity on the monitor. All the proper lights flash and i hear everything start up but nothing happens.... That and I've tried linux, if you try it's not hard for you to convince me.... U____U i'm gullible.... lol.

I have spare parts but they are all about 10-ish years old..... so they don't work anymore.... Could it possibly be the CPU? maybe.... I really don't want to get a new motherboard... that would suck....

my reply and solution were meant for the op of the thread

my reply and solution were meant for the op of the thread

oh... sorry.......

oh... sorry.......

ok so what you are saying is that you dont see anything on the screen at all
hmm
im guessing its the ram
can you get in the bios?
what have you tried so far?

No I can't get to the bios, I've reseated the Ram, tried to do a cold boot [let my computer cool off] reseated all the cables, unplugged everything that was unnecessary, and tried to boot up again. Nothing seems to work, I don't want to change the CPU or MB if it isn't the problem.

In the boot sequence ,keep your Hard Drive at 1st boot device and the rest on the 2nd and 3rd.
Did you install any hardware or software before this problem started?
Does your computer only hang at the screen where it says press F2 and F11?

No I can't get to the bios, I've reseated the Ram, tried to do a cold boot [let my computer cool off] reseated all the cables, unplugged everything that was unnecessary, and tried to boot up again. Nothing seems to work, I don't want to change the CPU or MB if it isn't the problem.

The program or the software of your BIOS is corrupt .

You have to show your MB to a Vendor from whom you have purchased it ,if your MB is in Warantee.

If your MB is not in Warantee then you have to take your MB to any hardware shop to get the BIOS chip replaced. The Hardware Tech might use tools to test your MB and BIOS Chip and this is the only option left for you if you dont want your whole MB to be changed.

I hope this helps

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.