Hi, I recently bought a computer for my son. It was a home built computer from a person I didn't know, and needless to say, I learned my lesson, because I got burnt. Anyway, I cannot get the A drive to work. Initially it didn't even register in My Computer that it had an A drive, but it now does, but when you go to BIOS, it shows disabled,but won't let me change it. It automatically skips over it. I have tried a different drive that I know works, but does the same thing. He is running Windows 98SE. Also there is a multiple USB port in the back of the computer, but I cannot get it to register either, and without the floppy working, I cannot load any drivers to it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi, I recently bought a computer for my son. It was a home built computer from a person I didn't know, and needless to say, I learned my lesson, because I got burnt. Anyway, I cannot get the A drive to work. Initially it didn't even register in My Computer that it had an A drive, but it now does, but when you go to BIOS, it shows disabled,but won't let me change it. It automatically skips over it. I have tried a different drive that I know works, but does the same thing. He is running Windows 98SE. Also there is a multiple USB port in the back of the computer, but I cannot get it to register either, and without the floppy working, I cannot load any drivers to it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Is it a USB Floppy Drive, if it is u need to install the USB FDD driver and before installing FDD drivers check whether the USB Drivers are installed, by going to MYComputer-Properties-Device Manager, check whether there is any yellow mark on any item.

If its not a USB FDD then Changing the Data Cable or the Power Connector might fix the problem

It is not a USB floppy, it is a regular floppy. But the USB will not work either. I have tried a different ribbon cable, but it didn't help. I am not sure how to change a power connector, but I think if I knew a way to get the BIOS to let me enable it without skipping over it, it might help. Thanks for the suggestion.

It is not a USB floppy, it is a regular floppy. But the USB will not work either. I have tried a different ribbon cable, but it didn't help. I am not sure how to change a power connector, but I think if I knew a way to get the BIOS to let me enable it without skipping over it, it might help. Thanks for the suggestion.

Power connector, the one which comes from SMPS and connects the FDD, a four pins connector. If there is another connector replace it with the already connected one

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.