I need to provide IIS and ASP.NET Web Forms functionality to an existing installation running under VMWare. I have created a new VM container with an installation of Windows Server 2008 R2, and I'm looking for some feedback as to what the minimum packages and protocols I need to install to provide the needed functionality, without adding anything that is not absolutely required.
The new Server 2K8/IIS/ASP.NET server will communicate to the existing installation through SSL/TLS only, and will not be web facing at all. It will take data from the database server (or other data source) and provide .NET functionality to the internal users via WebForms and ASP.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with this type of installation, or with configuring Server 2K8 with a minimum amount of services to provide ASP web forms.

Thanks!

Not clear. How many servers you have? You can use VMWare machine to run the web server. Use a back end sql if necessary. If you want to use an ssl cert you have to either buy one or you have to install a certificate server (ca) as well. Since it is internal, you can use an enterprise root CA. Then request an ssl cert and then install it to iis. That all what needs to be done. You have to allow the full network access in the network connection for the virtual machine. You can allow cert requests for clients. Use the web enrollment since it is easy to do the task. You can refer articles in Technet for further info.
Thanks!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.