Hello everyone, and thank you for considering this topic.

I think I may just have screwed up my friend's machine. I was trying to fix some problems with drivers, and used system restore, to restore all of the origional OS, and drivers.

Now the computer says on a black screen that it cannot find the file "windows/system32/config" because it is missing or corrupt

He dosn't have a windows disk, because it was installed by the computers builders, e-machines.

is there a possible way i could create a boot disk, and copy the necessary file from my computer? How would this be done, and how would I use it to fix the problem?

IS THERE ANY POSSIBLE WAY TO FIX THIS, PREFERABLY AN EASY FIX?

I really need help, I think I just dug myself into a hole, and I need help getting out.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You can enter a floppy in your floppy drive, right click on the drive in my computer and click on 'format', then click on 'create an ms-dos startup disk' and it will create a boot disk.

Also, even though he doesn't have a windows disk, there's a good chance he might have a 'repair disk' or something with a similiar name. Usually its just a modified windows disk, you can try booting off that if you find one.

If asking on here doesn't work, call up a friend who has a windows disk.

Hello everyone, and thank you for considering this topic.

I think I may just have screwed up my friend's machine. I was trying to fix some problems with drivers, and used system restore, to restore all of the origional OS, and drivers.

Now the computer says on a black screen that it cannot find the file "windows/system32/config" because it is missing or corrupt

He dosn't have a windows disk, because it was installed by the computers builders, e-machines.

is there a possible way i could create a boot disk, and copy the necessary file from my computer? How would this be done, and how would I use it to fix the problem?

IS THERE ANY POSSIBLE WAY TO FIX THIS, PREFERABLY AN EASY FIX?

I really need help, I think I just dug myself into a hole, and I need help getting out.

There are ways to fix this, but they require the Windows XP disc.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

You'll have to find or borrow one in order to do it. Further, if this fix didn't work, you'd need to locate a disc still, because your next step is to reinstall Windows.

With E-machines they have 3 restore cd's but they will erase all the data from the computer.

There are ways to fix this, but they require the Windows XP disc.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

You'll have to find or borrow one in order to do it. Further, if this fix didn't work, you'd need to locate a disc still, because your next step is to reinstall Windows.

For the system32/config/system is missing or corrupt, provided that you find an XP cd, there's a easier way than the Microsoft KB article:

http://www.toughadmin.com/article.php?article=System

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.