I'm using Windows XP Professional on my laptop & I wonder if anyone could possibly point me in the right direction in setting my own Personal Web Server, for the purpose of uploading my personal website on it, which can be accessed from any other computer, just as any website.

Start >> Control Panel >> Add/Remove Programs >> Add/Remove Windows Components

Select Internet Information Services (IIS) & then Next

Then I did the following:

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Internet Information Services

From the "Web Sites" folder, I right-clicked & selected properties in the "Default Web Site" & the "Default Web Site Properties" box opens.

I assigned the "Website Description" name & then in the "Home Directory" tab, I wrote C:\Web_Root in the "Local Path", AFTER creating a "Web_Root" directory. Then, in the "Documents" tab, I checked "Enable default content page" & clicked "Add" & then typed in "index.html" page, which is a page, I designed & saved in C:\Web_Root.

I've done everything as per the intruction given on one of the website.

I finally typed in "http://localhost" but am getting the page saying:

"You are not authorized to view this page
You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied. "

Wonder if anyone around could shed some light in making things work perfectly well.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

How do you get around the security issue where everyone has permissions?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.