Using Outlook Express, is it possible to block out any and everything coming from an ISP (who is allowing spam to come through it's system)?

If so, how do I do it?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Email communiction is started via the client. Is there any reason why you would want to do more than just remove the account from Outlook Express.

Email communiction is started via the client. Is there any reason why you would want to do more than just remove the account from Outlook Express.

Thanks for the reply, Marty.

Yeah, there is a reason; spam is bad now, and getting worse each day it seems. I'm a writer and I don't know beans about computers, but I do resent the crazies out there who think it's okay to flood my inbox with junk I don't want. Okay, enough of the ranting.

The client (the one sending out the spam) can change stripes twenty times a day, at least. He can change to a different domain. Or a different sub-domain. They have more tricks than Carter's has liver pills. They can't be stopped, BUT, if the ISP they're sending it through can be, then they will be, by extension.

In an ideal world, OE would add under the present "Block Sender" one titled, "Block ISP." A pop out would give the user the option of his computer keeping track of how many spam e-mails have come through on that ISP and when the user has had enough, block it out - and send the ISP a message telling them they're no longer welcome. One user, they'll laugh at, but if you guys who know programming make it easy for people like me to use, then the offending ISP will begin to sit up and take notice.

If they do something about it or not, I don't care. I just want to stop it from polluting my computer and the most logical point I can see is the ISP.

Click the Tools menu and then Message Rules and then on Blocked Senders List.

Click the Tools menu and then Message Rules and then on Blocked Senders List.

I do that all the time. Since a DDOS is illegal (plus I don't have a clue how to do it, or I probably would out of pure meanness), it would be nice if someone could add a "Block ISP" to the mix - which would be legal, BTW.

There is one who sends me the same spam only under different names of the sender and different domain names. Like: Sally@xxxx or John@xxxx. The domain names differ as well, but it's the same "pitch" using the same page/message (which I do not open), usually giving me the "opportunity" to save 90% on MS software.

My bet is that whoever is doing it, is using one ISP and that's who I want to get in my crosshairs. :mad:

But the ISP wont send you stuff if you remove the account. This is the effect of blocking it, as I said, all communications are instigated via your system.

But the ISP wont send you stuff if you remove the account. This is the effect of blocking it, as I said, all communications are instigated via your system.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm wanting an easy and simple way/option to block a designated (spammers) ISP (and by extension, their clients, honest and dishonest alike) from sending me anything, the same as I now can, and do, individuals (and companies) I don't want to communicate with.

SpamCop.com and DNSstuff.com look promising, although both appear complicated at first blush.

When you're blocking a user, I'm sure you can do this in Thunderbird, so hopefully you can in Outlook, there should be a From: you can block From: Just type yahoo.com or whatever ISP you wanna block, and that should block 'em!

Since starting this thread I've gotten more up to speed on the subject, and the results are encouraging.

War is about to begin, if it hasn't already started!

A contact and now friend wrote a quick and dirty program that will allow me or anyone else to block either an ISP and/or a mail server, and send them an e-mail to that effect. They were given 10 days to clean up their act or face e-mail exile from this consumer's computer.

Threats came at once and since I was first, at me. I'm sure a law suit is about to follow, but then so will a national news story because that's part of what I do for a living.

50 consumers are now testing it and that is about to go to 100.

Remember this date; Spam may be about to die, or at least take a hit in the groin!

Winterchase, that's incredible.

Good luck with it all. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.