Hi everybody,

In Excell 2010 when a cell is defined as number we can round up the number with the round() function. The increase/decrease decimal should not round up but it does!
A number of 4.7380 converts rounds up to 4.74 when I decrease the number of digits shown to 2. It shows 4.74 while it should show 4.73!!!
Any ideas?
It looks like a bug!

Thanks in advance

Hi everybody,

In Excell 2010 when a cell is defined as number we can round up the number with the round() function. The increase/decrease decimal should not round up but it does!
A number of 4.7380 converts rounds up to 4.74 when I decrease the number of digits shown to 2. It shows 4.74 while it should show 4.73!!!
Any ideas?
It looks like a bug!

Thanks in advance

Actually, mathematically speaking, Excell is rounding just fine. Everything from 0.05 becomes 0.1 if you round it.
But, fortunately, Excell has multiple function for rounding numbers. Not only ROUND, but also ROUNDUP and ROUNDDOWN.
I think the function that you will have to use is ROUNDDOWN:

=ROUNDDOWN(1.6,0) will result in a value of 1

INT (although less flexible) can also be used. =INT(1.6) will also result in 1

Source:
http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-rounding.htm

PS: if your problem is solved, don't forget to close the thread, to keep the forum organised :)
Kind regards,

Tanks for the answer.I can explain what I need with an example. Why I need that is something else:

If I have a result of 34.45678 when I want 4 digits displayed after zero I want to see 34.4567 Not 34.4568(Roundup) nor 34.4567(rounddown)

Hello,

Then don't use round off formula.. then display full result on to the cell

The Round off means give approximate result not complete.

Hi ,

Thanks for the reply.
But that is the problem. When I fix the number of digits to show after the dot it automaticaly ROUNDS UP, which I do not want. My answer to another friend was about his suggestion to use roundup or rounddown.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.