Hello,

I'm running Windows ME and recently installed an HP deskjet printer. I cannot get the printer to run through the USB port. It will only give me the option of using the LPT1 port, which is used by another device. I've tried everything possible--reinstalled drivers, changed cables, added and deleted ports, deleted all other printer devices... Does anyone have any suggestions on a fix? Thanks!

I had the same problem but using HPs tech advice, I un-installed the printer software using Control Panel / Add/Remove HP Printer... Turned off the printer. Unplugged it from the AC power. Turn off computer. Next, I plugged the USB cable into computer port and into printer. Plugged printer into AC outlet. Start up computer. Let PnP find printer. When asked, insert software CD and follow on-screen instructions. Turn on printer. Hope it works for you too.
>>You might go to Control Panel / System / Device Manager and check to be sure you do not have any conflict alert with the USB port.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.