Hi could any one please help, my computer a Dell Dimension 2400, with windows XP Pro will not boot.

when i press the Start button I get the message “ Primary drive 1 not found press F1 to continue, Press F2 to run set up utility.

I pressed F1, and windows xp starts to load.

The windows XP Logo appears, for a few seconds then the screen goes black, and just stays Black.

the computer was working ok when i last used it and it shut down quite normally, but when i came to boot it this morning the above happened.

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Press F8 right after you press F1 to continue...try Safe Mode. If it works in Safe Mode then maybe you just need to reinstall the video driver...

thanks antioed, i have juast tried your sugestion, but when i select the safe mode option a whaite bar starts going across the bottom of the screen, and when it gets to the other side of the svreen, the process halts and hangs there.

Any more idea's?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.