Hi, I'm getting BSOD extremely frequently over the last 24 hours. The blue screen says:

Kernal Data Inpage Error,
and
0x0000007a.

but goes by too fast for me to copy down any other code.

It also recommended stopping "Cache Shadowing" in the BIOS, but I could not find this option in the BIOS.

I've tried rebooting in safe more after a couple of these BSOD's and Windows stopped loading at the following line both times:
Windows\system32\drivers\bftpdskc64.sys

I'm not sure if this is a virus or a windows problem, so I'm posting in Windows, but with the requisite preliminary research recommended in the virus threads. I have done all the "read before you post" virus scans, but am having trouble completing the MBAM scan, as it BSOD's before the scan can complete.

Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool detected nothing.
ATF Cleaner: Cleaned
GMER did a preliminary scan on opening, but no results were posted. Most of the checkboxes, including the ones mentioned, were greyed out and did not allow checking.
I can't upload the GMER one.log, but have uploaded the GMER two.log.

I did a quick MBAM scan which is posted as QuickMBAM.txt I will try to do a full scan. I've found that the MBAM log folder has been deleted, and any logs are being prevented from saving there. I save them under other names and locations as soon as they pop up, and can thus post them.

The long MBAM has been interrupted by BSOD's, and attempting a Hijackthis caused a total power out.

Hijack this finally scanned.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi, thanks for that. I installed WinDbg so I could open the memory dump, and see that Bugcheck 7A means probably some kind of hardware or driver error, but I am stymied as to figuring out what it is. I've attached a .txt file of the memory dump.

Thank you. I installed WinDbg, and managed to read the dump file, which is posted here. It says on the Windows website that "A hardware device, its driver, or related software might have caused this error" But I can't tell which one....

What's your hard drive specs and how long have you been using it? How about your ram modules?

Such specs as I could find from System Information are below. I've been using this since June 2010 - not 2 years.
The HDD does keep going through Chkdsk and fixing stuff when I recover boot.
Does the code give any helpful info about the source of the problem?

Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1
Dell Studio XPS 1340
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz 2.53 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.75 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System
Pen and Touch: No Pen or Touch Input is available for this Display

The E and C drive are on the same HDD.

Drive C:
Description Local Fixed Disk
Compressed No
File System NTFS
Size 246,79 GB (264,989,626,368 bytes)
Free Space 58.71 GB (63,036,121,088 bytes)
Volume Name Windows
Volume Serial Number 304637BC
Drive D:
Description CD-ROM Disc
Drive E:
Description Local Fixed Disk
Compressed No
File System NTFS
Size 204.28 GB (219,345,317,888 bytes)
Free Space 75.12 GB (80,657,899,520 bytes)
Volume Name Data
Volume Serial Number 247664B0

The minidump says Status Device Data Error, which according to multiple sources (including the microsoft msdn), indicates bad sectors on the hard drive. But it is also possible that the page of kernel data can be read from the hard drive, but cannot be stored in faulty ram (dram, cache or even vram). Another possible cause is faulty drivers for the storage controller.

You could run a memtest to see if your ram is faulty. You could try to update drivers for your sata (or IDE) controllers. If you still get the error, backup any important files in your hard drive, then use chkdsk /r, or download HDD Regenerator, burn it to a disc and boot that.

Ok. Delay was a local tech scanned my HD and found 50+ viruses, and wanted me to see if that solved the problem. It didn't - I got a power out tonight, and it's happened multiple times. I've been trying memtest, but the laptop crashes when I'm not even at 5% tested - I wonder if that's a sign that it IS the RAM?

It is possible. Have you got multiple ram modules? If so, you can try them one at a time until you find a faulty one.

I do have dual RAM. I tested each individually, and both produced the power out. They were quite hot to the touch (Dell XPS 1340's are known to run pretty hot anyway). I suspect that each one overheated and tripped the power. So I've installed Core Temp and am monitoring the temperature, with a safety option to go to sleep when/if it gets to TjMax. I also bought some air in a can, and have dusted out the fan, chip area and keyboard. So, far, today, while the computer's stayed cool, no power out.

Your insight about the RAM not processing the kernel was really helpful for looking away from the HDD to the RAM. Thank you!

Dusting the insides kept the heat down, which has stopped the blackouts (Black Screens of Death), but it didn't stop the Blue Screens of Death, which kept producing the kernel error. I downloaded HDD Regenerator, and scanned a couple of times, and since then, no BSOD's of any kind. Thanks again!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.