I have discovered that svchost is using 100% cpu while I am on the net
and that is why the machine is locking, so what is svchost? and how can I sort the problem?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

From www.liutilities.com:

svchost - svchost.exe - Process Information
Process File: svchost or svchost.exe
Process Name: Microsoft Service Host Process

Description:
svchost.exe is a system process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Note: svchost.exe is also a process which is registered as the Trojan.W32.Dasher. It takes advantage of the Windows LSASS vulnerability, which creates a buffer overflow and instigates your computer to shut down. To see more information about this vulnerability please look at the following Microsoft bulletin: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-011.mspx

This is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately.

Determining whether this process is a virus or a Windows process depends on the directory location it executes or runs from in WinTasks.

cheers mate it appears to be in(windows) system since ending process in task manager on problems connecting or using applications exept video playback appears to be in 16 colour mode
but i can live with that

Is it only in 16-colors when you terminate svchost.exe or at all times?

only when i terminate
but sll setting state 32 bit tru colour and all other graphics ok only problem with video

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.