Hi

I recently came across a windows inbuilt program "winchat". I found it quite interesting but it seems like it is not working. When i try to type a ip address and dial, it says "The other computer did not resepond". I am using this program for the first time. Can anyone help me in resolving the problem?0

PS: The LAN is working fine and the ping also works fine.. problem is in settings of the winchat.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I'm not familiar with this program but I would tend to beleive that the target computer would have to be running the service/app so that you can establish the connection.

Even i tried that. But it din't work still. And one more thing i heard is that , for winchat there is no need to run the same application on other computer.

So with any type of communication between two systems, there is listener at the target system. Otherwise, the packets would not be expected and discarded.

Again, I'm not familiar with this app, but this was my first thought when I read your post.

Do you have a link that provides documentation on this product?

Yes. i do agree that there should be listener at the target system. But what i saw in a post when i google about the same winchat is that , the service should run in background but not the winchat itself.

Here are the some of the links that i found in google

Winchat

So, Microsoft's article clearly states that either you need to have the application running on the target or have the Network DDE service started.

To Answer a Call

To answer a call, click Chat, which appears on the taskbar when someone uses Chat to call your computer. Or, if your Chat window is already open, click Answer on the Conversation menu.

Note that you must have Chat running or have the Network DDE service started to answer a call. To start the Network DDE service:
Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Administrative Tools.
Double-click Computer Management, double-click Services and Applications, and then double-click Services.
In the Details pane, click Network DDE.
On the Action menu, click Start.
To have the Network DDE service start automatically every time you start your computer:
Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Administrative Tools.
Double-click Computer Management, double-click Services and Applications, and then double-click Services.
In the Details pane, click Network DDE.
On the Action menu, click Properties.
On the General tab, in Startup type, select Automatic, and then click OK.

So, in my previous posts, I mentioned that the service/app needs to be running or some type of listener. Sorry, I didnt intend to send the message out that Winchat had to be running.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.