Hypothetical question, does anyone here plan (at this point based on what they have seen) to buy any new hardware to run vista? What are some of the things that make you happy or tick you off about the Operating System?

I am doing research for my website...
Mike

http://www.windows-vista-update.com

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

I will be upgrading if i can get it cheap enough through my academic alliance. I will not be buying new hardware for it...(yet). I will wait until the 2nd generation of quadcore intel processors are out (the actual true quad core ones) and i will build my machine around that chip and what ever technology goes along with it (hopefully some hybrid hard drives too). I am excited, but i am nervous as to being an early adoptor of it as like anything new, there will be lots of problems. Its not really anyones fault, it is just ineviatable and near impossible to avoid with any new major tech release now a days.

Here in the UK, Dell is advertising a new PC for £299. IF I was considering upgrading, given the coast of the new OS I would most certainly consider purchasing a new PC.

Based on what I've seen, I WON'T be buying a new PC. XP (and Windows 2000) are FINE for anything I can think of running or that I need to run...

...and I feel more comfortable (and more in pocket!) running Linux Servers for Web Hosting /FTP connectivity etc.

And, BASED on what I've seen in the past I certainly won't be upgrading until at least SP1 and all the 'undocumented features' will be ironed out.

Hypothetical question, does anyone here plan (at this point based on what they have seen) to buy any new hardware to run vista? What are some of the things that make you happy or tick you off about the Operating System?

I am doing research for my website...
Mike

http://www.windows-vista-update.com

Based on what I've seen, I WON'T be buying a new PC. XP (and Windows 2000) are FINE for anything I can think of running or that I need to run...

Roger that exactly.

yeah i agree that xp does everything just fine and there is no real need to get vista. However, it will obvioulsy take over within the next few years and it will be what about 30-35% of users are using (in 2 yrs time). I will upgrade only if it is not too expensive (under $200 for the ultamate version), but hopefully my academic aliance will provide me with a free copy.

Will 3ghz HT CPU and 1024mb RAM and 256mb Video card run Vista?

And dont give up on XP. I still run 1x Win 3.11, 1x Win NT 3.51, 3x Win NT4, 3x Win 2K as well as 1x Win 98SE. There all fine for day to day things

of course it will, upgrading to 2gb ram will make it blazing, but that will be more than enough.

What is academic allieance?
I have student edition of office is that what you mean? (im 16 at college). Can you get XP cheap for being a student?

I don't plan to buy anything new for Vista as of now. My 3.06 MHz hyperthreaded Pentium 4 should be able to run whatever I need.

Is it me or are OSes getting slower?
My 20mhz Windows 3.11 machine still works. I can do inyernet, email, networking, office, accounts and music all from it still and ity only has 10mb of RAM. I think windows needs to be rewritten from scratch.

Is it me or are OSes getting slower?
My 20mhz Windows 3.11 machine still works. I can do inyernet, email, networking, office, accounts and music all from it still and ity only has 10mb of RAM. I think windows needs to be rewritten from scratch.

WOW!!! That is amazing. Never heard of anybody still using windows 3.11

Well i keep getting ancient comouters from schoole etc (im 16). I have 10 of them and 3 of my own setup as:

NETWORK A

1x NT 3.51 Server (50mhz, 16mb ram)
1x Win 3.11 (20mhz, 10mb ram)

WORKGROUP B

1x NT4 Server (233mhz, 64mb RAM
2xNT4 Workstation (166mhz, 32mb RAM)
1x Win 95 ( 166mhz, 32mb Ram)

WORKGROUP C

1x Win2k Server (1 ghz, 256mb ram)
2x Win 2K workstation (700mhz, 128mb ram)
1x Win 98 (166mhz, 128mb RAM)

WORKGROUP D

1x Win 2003 Sever (2 ghz, 1gb ram)
1x XP Home (1 ghz, 512mb ram
1x XP Pro (3 ghz, 1gb ram)

I am retiring A in the next 3 months, B within 6 and C within 12 and hope to upgrade the XP PR0 to Vista. Is there a server upgrade of vista coming out so i can upgrade 2003 and should i get it as it cost a fiortune before

maybe, but dought it

there had better be cos it cost me like 700 when new for the full win 2003 disc and licences and i only earn like £30 a week

Isnt VISTA based on 2003 server code anyways?

yes, but only ram and processor

Well i keep getting ancient comouters from schoole etc (im 16). I have 10 of them and 3 of my own setup as:

NETWORK A

1x NT 3.51 Server (50mhz, 16mb ram)
1x Win 3.11 (20mhz, 10mb ram)

WORKGROUP B

1x NT4 Server (233mhz, 64mb RAM
2xNT4 Workstation (166mhz, 32mb RAM)
1x Win 95 ( 166mhz, 32mb Ram)

WORKGROUP C

1x Win2k Server (1 ghz, 256mb ram)
2x Win 2K workstation (700mhz, 128mb ram)
1x Win 98 (166mhz, 128mb RAM)

WORKGROUP D

1x Win 2003 Sever (2 ghz, 1gb ram)
1x XP Home (1 ghz, 512mb ram
1x XP Pro (3 ghz, 1gb ram)

I am retiring A in the next 3 months, B within 6 and C within 12 and hope to upgrade the XP PR0 to Vista. Is there a server upgrade of vista coming out so i can upgrade 2003 and should i get it as it cost a fiortune before

how do you get them from your school, i would like to try this.

School were throwing away some old 95/98/NT/2k RM machines and the Proliant in order to get some new win2k ones and a few XP

Workgroup B and C are entirely these machines. Workgroup A is from car boot sles and D is mine

My current PC runs Vista just fine. At least, it has run every one of the betas I've installed on it.

But, incidentally, I will be building a new PC that will run Vista. It's not just because of Vista's coming out, it's just my regular upgrade cycle. I plan to start with these components:

• Athlon64 x2 4200
  • 2x1GB PC3200 Dual channel
  • 1.25TB of disk space (1x250GB primary boot volume, 3x500GB in RAID5 storage)
  • 1xNVIDIA 7900GS, to add a second one in the future.

It's going to be a pretty tough machine-- I think it will be up to the task of choking on Vista :)

Hmm, I WOULD upgrade, if only I could on me laptop...

is there anything i can do on vista that i can't in my current OS?

can vista do this?

well i just bought 2gb of ram to upgrade to a total of 3gb so that should do for now but i also will wait for the proper quad cores to come out and then build a monster pc shame it will only be a monster for a little while. :(

im sticking with my ultra-cache P4 FX (overclocked to over 4ghz!)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.