HI

Where i live the landlord has uncapped internet and said i could use it (as part of my rental) i connected a wifi usb adapter to my desktop machine. i loaded the wifi dongle drivers, then i connected to the wifi network. i tested it with my phone and it works. windows says i am connected to the network, i can ping google.com or any website for that matter, I have tried several sites. i can ping the router, but when i open ie9, or mozilla, or opera, it says im not connected. in ie i clicked on the "diagnose connection" button and it says there is no issue, it reloads the page and tells me im still not connected. i have no proxies, i removed all networking applications such as open vpn, yourfreedom etc and still no network access. Does anyone know what i can do? the wifi network itself is working (as per my phone being able to connect with the network carrier off and only using wifi)
i have done a tracrt google.com and it is successful, i have done a nslookup and it finds the router (billion) connected. in the networks tree i can see the home pc thats connected to the network and mine. so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance for any assistance.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Make sure you PC is set to DHCP and not static IP. If you type ipconfig /all, what result do you get?

Check your browser connection settings. You want to have all browsers discover their own path to the internet. If Windows own connection settings (Control Panel etc.) are not set right and all other browsers are using Windows settings then you will get this kind of behaviour.

Hi, the pc was set to dhcp. will have to post the results later this evening when im at home again. i saved the text (ipconfig /all> c:\ip.txt) i actually reset internet explorer to default settings. i cant even access the router itself from ie. (10.0.0.2) gives the same diagnose connection error. and as i said before i have clicked diagnose connection and its like it just refreshes the page. it tells me iexplorer cannot find fault with the connection, refreshes and shows me diagnose connection again. i uninstalled the usb device software (tried that first) then i reinstalled using the driver only and setting the connection up through windows. i disabled my firewall both windows and anti-virus because i thought that was the issue. i deleted all my dialup connections but still no luck.

Good Morning, Here is the ipconfig results. Also i did the following lastnight without any success. i reset the router, i joined the windows 7 home network, but i still get the same results.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Benny-home
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8192CU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 78-44-76-93-F6-06
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::11e5:1ca:3ff6:61f3%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.104(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, June 02, 2013 10:19:09 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, June 02, 2013 9:57:53 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 209208438
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-14-FE-1D-10-78-D2-D3-9C-98
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 10-78-D2-D3-9C-98
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:82:34fa:f5ff:ff97(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::82:34fa:f5ff:ff97%13(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{06C4E8DB-7339-4FAC-BAAF-34325E805F8B}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

I have network access. i can ping everything still. i can access the home network and browse the landlords pc. but i cannot go onto the internet. i will try another wifi card the weekend, but i doubt that its that.

The router may not have DNS servers set. Try manually setting your own on your IP settings screen. Try OpenDNS servers 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.