I changed the screen on a "Asus EEE PC 1005 PE B10" notebook. Windows 7 does not start any more, It worked briefly after I changed the screen. It goes to this message "setup is starting services". After about 30 seconds a message window opens stating: "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation can not proceed. To install windows click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation". After clicking OK, the computer restarts and goes through the same process. I've used F8 at the boot screen to attempt starting in safe mode with the same result. I did not receive any discs at all with this purchase, Windows 7 had been pre-loaded. I have tried 5 times to reload Window 7 with the recovery partition and it will not recover. Any help would be greatly appreciated, victor1244

P.S. The notebook was dropped and the original screen was bad.

P.P.S. The other OS on the computer "ASUS Express Gate" works fine.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Sounds like the installation did not complete. Can you run a disk check? Get hold of a W7 computer and build a system restore disk [via Backup and Restore centre], or download the W7 installation file and burn to dvd. Run Repair,; if it recognises your installation you will have the opportunity to run a disk check.
Here's a link which gives you the links to the GENUINE W7 download site... http://best-windows.vlaurie.com/boot-disks.html#full
Or.. http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/14709-Windows-7-Digital-River-direct-links-Multiple-Languages-X86-amp-X64/page60

Thank you for your helpful reply. I cannot boot to windows in any configuration. I have downloaded a W7 file as suggested, but I have to get my larger Flash drive to try and run it. The Asus eee has no cd/dvd drive. I will post results soon, thank you again. victor1244

Have you tried booting into safe mode, or into the recovery partition?

Hello Rubberman, Yes, I have tried both, to no avail. Windows will not boot up to get into safe mode and I have tried to recover from the partition multiple times without any luck. Right now I am tryong to recover from a flash drive, but I am having trouble transferring the program from a DVD to the flash drive. victor1244

Was it dropped while it was running? If so, there is a strong possibility that the hard drive was also damaged.
If this is the case, you will need to remove the hard drive and test it using hdtune (which can easily be found with google) on another PC that either has a free sata connector or with a sata to usb adapter.
If hdtune finds any bad sectors then you will need to replace the hard drive.

"I am having trouble transferring the program from a DVD to the flash drive"...
For Windows, I use Novicorp's WinToFlash. Dead simple to use, and free.

Thank you all for your replies. The problem is solved. I finally got the Windows 7 DVD on a bootable flash drive and I installed it on the ASUS computer. Everything is working just fine now. Thanks again for taking the time to help me. Victor1244.

P.S. to RIK, yes it was dropped while it was running, that's what started this whole thing. V.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.