Hows it goin :cool:
just for the fun of it , im writing a batch file.
this may sound daft but should you disconnect before typing ipconfig/release ipconfig/renew ?

i would assume you would stay connected so you could p[erform such an operation . however after doing this, the IP still has not changed ?

Thanks people

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

What do you mean by disconnect? Do you mean disconnect the cable? IP addresses usually stay the same when using the same DHCP server over and over. The reason for this is, is that unless your MAC address changes, your IP really shouldn't/won't. That is one reason why cable users (though they use DHCP and dynamic IP) have been known to keep the same IP address for a year or more as long as the networking device (or it's MAC address) on the connection doesn't change.

this is the thing ... ive had the same ip address for months and months and months .... people which know me may have aquired my IP address through the admin logs on certain message boards etc , therefore i was hoping i would be able to change my IP address ?

i was under the impression an IP address will not change until the connection is dropped to the ISP , then upon reconnection to the internet, a new IP would be issued...

i could be totally wrong, im no expert .

Are you using cable modem?

this is the thing ... ive had the same ip address for months and months and months .... people which know me may have aquired my IP address through the admin logs on certain message boards etc , therefore i was hoping i would be able to change my IP address ?

i was under the impression an IP address will not change until the connection is dropped to the ISP , then upon reconnection to the internet, a new IP would be issued...

i could be totally wrong, im no expert .

What does the lease time say when you do a ipconfig /all? That should tell you the IPAddress, I believe you should do a release, then a renew, you should not have to do a disconnect. You are on a dynamic plan right not a static?

no this is static i believe .... 576 Kbps adsl modem
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 25 March 2004 06:12:38
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 26 March 2004 06:12:38

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.