I was running an earlier version of windows and my ethernet port was working fine cause i had a cord from my computer to my modem and that is how i had internet. Now since i have xp my computer doesnt even reconize that a cord isnt even plugged in. I have no clue where to start with this problem... is it missing software for the hardware? did i mess something up in installation? Any sort of help would be nice.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Go to device manager and check that the network adapters are working correctly. I'm guessing you need the drivers. If there is a :!: next to them you do. You will probably need to download your motherboard drivers from the manufacturers website.
XP does have quite a good driver database but you should always check the device manager after a reinstall.
The easiest way to get there is right click "my computer", go to "hardware", then device manager.

Go to device manager and check that the network adapters are working correctly. I'm guessing you need the drivers. If there is a :!: next to them you do. You will probably need to download your motherboard drivers from the manufacturers website.
XP does have quite a good driver database but you should always check the device manager after a reinstall.
The easiest way to get there is right click "my computer", go to "hardware", then device manager.

It does have the ! next to it and i looked and it says code 32. I dont know what that means... where can i download a driver?

It does have the ! next to it and i looked and it says code 32. I dont know what that means... where can i download a driver?

From the manufacturers website. If the pc's a dell or emachines etc go to their web site and go to support and plum in the model number and you should find the drivers for the nic. Or look on the motherboard for the make and model and go to the motherboard manufacturers site:!:

When you go and get your windows updates it could be there among hardware

I kinda think t's best to get the drivers from the original manufacturer. Windows drivers are generic and may not support all of the device's features.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.