When we install a Application Software in Windows 7/8, it installs automatically in C: Drive. More presicely in,
C: Drive > Program Files > Application.
Say for example Opera Browser. The main Files of Opera Browser get installed in,
C: Drive > Program Files > Opera.
Also the supplementary files get installed in
C: Drive > My PC > AppData(Hidden Folder) > Local > Opera &
C: Drive > My PC > AppData(Hidden Folder) > Roaming > Opera
What I want to know is whether it is possible to set up these files in a different Drive, say, F: Drive so that the Files of Opera Browser get installed in,

F: Drive > Program Files Vault > Opera
F: Drive > My PC > AppData(Hidden Folder) > Local > Opera &
F: Drive > My PC > AppData(Hidden Folder) > Roaming > Opera

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

@rproffitt, Opera was just an example. I want to know in general about all the applications. And yup I've tried Opera Forums but with no results.

There is no always works system wide setting. You tackle this app by app. Sorry to be brief about it but many have asked such for decades but that answer hasn't really changed. You work it with each app. This means the easy fix is to let C be big enough for apps and more.

@rproffitt, I too have tried on many forums to find answer to my question. But for no avail. But thanks for replying.

@mu2. The issue or question does not have an answer that works for all apps. That's why you can't find the answer.

The answer changes for each app. Well, it's not that bad. Many apps ask where to install, so for those you change it. For apps that don't then you ask around.

Let me broach TWO MORE THINGS.

One. Given the OS in question it is not entirely possible for all apps to not install something on the C drive. There are long raging discussions about how Office installs stuff on C even when you said F. There have been folk that want ALL of an app on another drive. This will never happen with say Office (from Microsoft for versions up to this day.)

Two. Now there is another exit. I forgot to mention it. Go look for Portable Apps. Sometimes there's a portable version that runs entirely from it's own folder on almost any drive. I see Opera and other such titles on portableapps.com.

I agree with rprofitt. portableapps is great. You can carry apps on a usb and use them where you want. It has value especially when , like me, you carry an arsenal of tools on a Read only USB for malware cleanup, etc...

commented: Thank you CimmerianX. +8

@rproffitt, @CimmerianX , Sorry for the late reply guys, I was out of station for a month. And I understand it. Apps like Avant Browser ask where to install, so for those I change the location. But Avant Browser is an exception. And yes I too use Portables whereever possible. Thanks for replying guys.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.