I TRIED to do a clean install using XP, it froze at 15% during the formatting process, and I havent been able to continue instal or even boot the old tecra 8100:sad:

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHELP PLEASE
Tbeckstr

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

I TRIED to do a clean install using XP, it froze at 15% during the formatting process, and I havent been able to continue instal or even boot the old tecra 8100:sad:

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHELP PLEASE
Tbeckstr

Is it consistently freezing at 15%? In other word, have you tried the install process more than once? You can still boot to the CDROM drive, can't you? If not, get into the CMOS setup and set the CDROM drive to boot before the hard drive.

If the format is freezing everytime, your problem is much greater than getting XP installed. You certainly don't want to experience data corruption later on.

What about getting ahold of a DOS boot disk and use it to create a bootable partition and format it with a FAT32 filesystem. Then try the XP installation again, except select the option to leave the filesystem alone.

The CMOS is set to boot the cd-drive...I tried the instal again today it froze at 77%. I do not have the optional floppy drive........

The CMOS is set to boot the cd-drive...I tried the instal again today it froze at 77%. I do not have the optional floppy drive........

Does that mean 77% for the format process and not the total installation process? When it's "froze", do you see and hear any hard drive activity? If you do hear the hard drive head banging or re-seeking, then you'll need to replace the hard drive.

Try disabling XP's ACPI support during installation, some of older BIOS's do cause lockups. Hit F8 as your computer boots up from the XP cd...about the same time you see the message "Hit F6..."... or maybe just keep hitting F8 for about 20 seconds as the XP cd boots. Also make sure that the XP cd is not scratched.

New problem...made it the enter product id code,

then it went black, exception ERROR HHHHF

another problem, I dont have the optional external floppy drive......
Thanks so much..
.poor nubies :-(

Make an FDISK and delete the partition again in that, and then recreate a new partition, and when it asks you if you want full or quick format on the xp install select quick, if that freezes try full

Can you install a different OS, or use a different XP cd? I don't know which one the tecra 8100 is, but did it come with XP originally?

No, originally it had 98 or 2000nt.....I dont have the external a drive, and I cant seem to make a bootable cd,,I tried ISO Magic, with no success..............

I have gotten it past the windows registration key..new message. cant initialize windows(win32) missing hal.dll reinstal file...but it restarts the entire process and I get the same message

Make an FDISK and delete the partition again in that, and then recreate a new partition, and when it asks you if you want full or quick format on the xp install select quick, if that freezes try full

I can only acess the recovery console ,in C: And it doesnt recognize the FDISK command......

get a hold of pation magic recovery disks, and redo your partioning and try the install again.

No, originally it had 98 or 2000nt.....I dont have the external a drive, and I cant seem to make a bootable cd,,I tried ISO Magic, with no success..............

Do you have Nero ,if so use it to create win98 bootdisk and use fdisk to delete non dos partition and create and format a new partition .and start over.
get win98 bootdisk here to copy to cdrom
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Im all over it...will Roxio create a bootable CD?

caperjack Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeckstr

Do you have Nero ,if so use it to create win98 bootdisk and use fdisk to delete non dos partition and create and format a new partition .and start over.
get win98 bootdisk here to copy to cdrom
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

I looked on www.roxio.com it says that you can create your own personal CD's. There's even an online tutorial:
http://www.roxio.com/en/support/tutorials/ecdc/tutorial_toc.jhtml

And like Caperjack said, go to the website he mentioned to get the bootdisk and use Roxio or any other CD-burning program, I recommend using Nero though, to copy the bootdisk to the CD-Rom.

I am trying it this weekend, I am afraid of loosing the system files , xp has all of the drivers , and 98 well....you know..will it boot the dvd drive. Xp boots the cd from the DVD drive...any idea??..It starts up great now but Wont load windows xp , could never finish the install. I am going to do the 98 bootable cd..if it will boot from the DvD drive,...THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE

Well I dont knowe what the problem is . I downloaded Nero, went to bootdisk.com and burned a win98 boot disk to a cd and...it wont boot the TECRA.......

in nero did you choose the option to, make a bootiable disk

In the startup, I mean when you click the on button. You need to get into the BIOS setup. Mostly it's the Del from Delete button. This my friend, is the drive for your computer. The most basic part. Be careful when you try to change something here. But the thing that you want to change is the "Boot up order". I can't really say which menu it is. But it should be around there. Normally it stands in this order:
A: (floppy drive)
IDE0 (Hard Drive)
CDROM

to change boot sequence in the BIOS its usually in the Boot section Phoenix bios or in the Advanced BIOS features in Awared BIOS!
Award Bios

:evil: I have no problem changing the boot order,,I omly have the HDD or CD drive..I chose the bootable cd option in NERO.
It didnt work.I did something wrong...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.