Recently, some of my desktop icons have stopped working. When they are selected all the icons and toolbar disappear, leaving the background picture in situ and then they come back on the screen, but the programme has not been entered into. The same thing happens when you go into start, my computer and control panel ..... there does not seem to be any way of accessing the c drive in any way shape or form? I have scanned the machine for viruses and it is clear.:evil:

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

If you have the O.S. (win xp) disk, re-install it or repair your current windows. You can also try re-installing any programs that arent working when u click them. Hmm. ill try and find some more solutions to ur prob.

If you have the O.S. (win xp) disk, re-install it or repair your current windows. You can also try re-installing any programs that arent working when u click them. Hmm. ill try and find some more solutions to ur prob.

If I reinstall dont I have to reformat my hard drive? How do I repair?

If I reinstall don't I have to reformat my hard drive? How do I repair?

If you have the full Windows XP CD, you can run Repair Mode from the CD. If all you have is the OEM disc, read your instructions or go to your manufacturer's web site for further instructions.

Also,when you do repair, it keeps your HD and your files. When you re-install it, i believe it gives you the option to keep files or delete them permanetly...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.