Dear all
I'm trying to track down the name/existence of software that I used in 1999 to 'write' a financial reporting system - it was a curious mix of spreadsheet with programming capability... Would any of you know about this? Its name was similar (-ish) to Visual Basic, but it wasn't VB itself... The way I was asked to use it was to collate financially reported information from a series of European entities and then present them in a specific format for the client. The client was Synstar (pan European disaster recovery computing service), since taken over by HP.

The reason I'm interested in tracking it down - is (curiosity, it's really bugging me that I can't remember its name!!... and also) to find out if there is something equally as logical, easy to pick up and user friendly that I could use. I would like to be able to take data from individual small/medium sized businesses and then have a lovely usable (customised) report pop out neatly the other end... I realise that there will be cloud based software that exists for this... but I'm enthusiastic enough to want to try for myself... (and I'm supposed to be studying/have teenage children/husband/housework and this would be a lovely excuse to do something that is not related to those... ).

I'm primarily a finance person, with a science background... so not a programming/computing background... but I was fairly tech-savvy (when things were perhaps more simple?!)...

Any help you can provide or suggestions or links for me to look at/research would be gratefully received...

Many thanks indeed for reading this far! ;-)
TeaGG

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

VisiCalc?

commented: Good question.... I'll now go off and have a nose around to see if I can find that and see if it sparks any memories... (!). Thank you. +0

PowerBasic?
Visual Basic for Applications?
Microsoft Access?

I THINK I know what you’re talking about but the name escapes me. It sounded something like PowerBasic but not that?

commented: Excel back then with VBA could make some nice (for the era) reports and systems. To me Excel and some VBA seems to match what is asked here. +15

Thank you for these options... I'm also trying to track down the person commissioning the work to ask... but can't find them at the moment!!!

I 'feel' (odd word for me - I tend to 'think' rather than believe or feel!!) that the name sounded like Visual Basic but wasn't that... IIRC it seemed at the time to be a play on those words... so I 'feel' it started with a V... but visicalc doesn't quite seem right... I do wish I'd kept better records of what I actually did... (!!)...

Thank you for the help... I really appreciate your time, attention, and efforts!!!

Wasn't Visual Fox Pro was it ?

commented: Visual FoxPro could look like a spreadsheet and reports were built into its DNA. +15

When I was in IT, I had a client that ran their financials using Visual Fox Pro...it seems very much like what you describe.

This sounds very familiar... I shall hunt around to see if I can find it and perhaps try to use it... though I'm usually on an Apple at home (microsoft at work though)... so it'll be an interesting experience....

Thank you very much for the suggestions...
;-)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.