when im at the desktop after turning the computer, nothing is there. i thought it was just taking forever to load.

basically all i see is my wallpaper. i cannot right click nor press the windows key on my keyboard. there are no icons as well. i thought it was my explorer problem so i ctrl+alt+dlt and typed in explorer.exe in the run option. instead of reloading my desktop and start menu back to normal, it leads me to my document instead.

do u guys know any way to fix this mess without reformatting it? i even scanned with antivirus and anti spy-ware and detects nothing

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

.....if you have the XP install cd then in that run window type
sfc /scannow
and load the cd. Be prepared to hit enter quite a few times. Come back with the result...

.....if you have the XP install cd then in that run window type
sfc /scannow
and load the cd. Be prepared to hit enter quite a few times. Come back with the result...

ok i just reinstalled with an XP cd

everything seems to be working fine but... i have another problem now

it indicates i have 60gb of data unaccounted for

i cant seem to find where it is coming from, i was hoping to restore it completely new w/o using a recovery cd since i lost mines

hmmm. I'm a bit surprised that you reinstalled - that is a big gun. I think that you only had a bit of registry damage. If we could not have got you going again I would have recommended a Repair installation at most..we would have saved your files.
Anyway, i could guess that you installed a second copy of windows, that there is a prob with the volume sector of the first and that it is now invisible.
If you used a Microsoft install CD you would have selected new installation if it pointed to your old windows...did setup in fact point to your old installation? If you elected a new installation it should have prompted for a format. So if there is nothing in your files that you want to keep, reinstall properly.
You can use the recovery console in your install CD to format the HD...cmd is format c: /Q
Just for a joke, do this....
Start, run, type sysdm.cpl and press ok. Go Advanced tab, Startup n Recovery, Press settings, click Edit, cancel, cancel. Now post that notepad.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.