Maybe it is just the fact that i am not old enough to remeber anything about previous releases of Windows or wether it is just that i did not care much for operating system bugs and faults but it seems to me like there are alot of security problems being found with microsoft these days especially in relation to Vista.

I am just curious is this a relatively new thing or has this happend with every new release of windows?

Anyone who was around (or rather around in the tech world) for previous windows releases. I am curious as to what problems you remeber having or that occured with these new releases.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

XP wasn't really solid until after its first service pack came out, and its stable feel didn't come until SP2.

This always happens with the new windows, just wait until servce pack 1 is out, it'll solve a lot of problems.

Really i find it quite irritating that we even have to do that. i think the OS should conform to the user and not the other way around.

My advice has always been, and will continue to be, that for any business facing, mission critical machine that requires Windows to wait until after the SP1 release before upgrading. That advice tends to hold good for home users as well, after all why put yourself through hassle when you don't need to. It's not as if XP is totally broken...

Just visit this Link :

http://www.apcstart.com/5049/10_reasons_not_to_get_vista

Its pretty much all those reasons that i have a Mac but i really feel sorry for the people who don't have the money or even the computing skills to use a Mac and get stuck with Vista.

What really gets me as well is that i am going to have to learn how to use it and now with microsofts new Anti virtualisation crap im going to have to spend about $500 instead of $150 or whatever it would have cost me to do it otherwise so that it can be installed on my mac.

Its pretty much all those reasons that i have a Mac but i really feel sorry for the people who don't have the money or even the computing skills to use a Mac and get stuck with Vista.

hasn't mac had the equivalent of UAC for ages? where to do system administrator tasks, you needed the administrator password?

and besides, i hate off-white.

Yea it has only its not constantly popping up for stupid little things it only really pops up when you want to install a program that has to change settings or that has permission to wake up/unlock my computer for example my alarm clock program does this.

Plus it was mainly the other things that i was talking about like the license agreement and microsoft making you do things their way all the time.

Yea it has only its not constantly popping up for stupid little things it only really pops up when you want to install a program that has to change settings or that has permission to wake up/unlock my computer for example my alarm clock program does this.

Plus it was mainly the other things that i was talking about like the license agreement and microsoft making you do things their way all the time.

Dani said in another thread how to disable those annoying system popups. I disabled them and no longer have that problem.

I upgraded to Vista Home Premium a couple weeks ago and really like it. I don't do web programming so the ultimate edition is a lot more than what I want or ever use, and costs about twice the edition I bought. Did I need it? No. But its a nice os anyway, and comes with a few really nice games and new support for gadgets. I have not noticed any security problems, maybe because I always run virus scanner. Got a fee new one last week from Avalst. It seems to work ok -- scans email as well as browser communications and has a firewall.

I have found that some of the games I played in XP doesn't work in Vista. I'm glad installed Vista to duel boot instead of completly replace XP.

For businesses, I don't think Vista isn't worth the bother to upgrade, at least not at this time unless you are targeting other users who have Vista.

I think when i do upgrade i will buy it from overseas because the mark up here is massive for vista ultimate your looking at about 750 australian and only $200 US from somewhere like newegg.com which means im looking at a saving of like $450 for the same version i just have to wait a week or 2 in order to get it and lets face it im in no real hurry at this stage XP works just fine for me and plays all my games.

same. In the uk ultimnate full version is £375 which is about $750. Thats hundreds of dollars of mark-up

I installed Ubuntu and after a little extra downloads i hope it will work nice, and also i have my XP too.. I will wait for vista .. It is early i think ..

Well vista was just released a month ago to the public. Microsoft had it testers use and report back with bugs and such for a couple years. On a worldwide scale, there are issues, bugs, or even features that vista will need improvement on, and the only way the operating system is going to end up being successful is if feedback is reported. I agree completely that most companies won't use vista as its OS until a service pack is released. That's just simply because they want to make sure the software is suitable for their business's needs. Vista just simply has to be broken in.

The guy that wrote this article is a linux worshiper. You can't expect him to say anything positve about MS or Windows. Vista is a great operation system, and I'm not saying because I'm a MS cheerleader, I'm saying it because it's true.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.