I am trying to install a couple of printers on an XP Pro machine running some proprietry accounting software which requires the printers to be named 'Report' and 'Invoice'. The printers have been previously installed on this machine and shared as 'Report' and 'Invoice' (though that was not their actual name in windows). I have unshared and uninstalled both printers but it will not let me name the new printers what I want, giving an error like 'Share name already exists'. The printers do not show up when you browse to the machine's shares via network places, so they seem to be gone but the add printer wizard doesn't seem to think so :(

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Printers are generaly shared as admin shares and thus are hidden from the view. Click Start->Control Panel->Administrative tools->Computer Management->Shared Folders->Shares. Find your printer share there and stop sharing it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.