Using Windows XP Pro, when you move a hard drive from one computer to another, it will often refuse to boot and give the blue screen of death with a stop error. i really don't feel like reinstalling windows so i was wondering if there was a way to say tell the os to install new drivers from the xp cd.
Anyone know what i can do?
Thank you,
Diego

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I wouldn't recommend doing this. It's much better to let Windows XP find and detect all the correct drivers (including cpu, bus, mobo, etc) on a clean install. I once moved a hdd with WinXP on it from an Intel machine to an AMD machine. It loaded fine the first time and automatically detected the new settings. However, the registry and other stuff wasn't nearly as clean as it coulda been had I done a clean install. So I reformatted and reinstalled WindowsXP right over itself.

It is actually a pretty new clean install and it's not my computer so I don't care as much as I could. My brother recommended uninstalling every driver, shutting the computer off, moving the hard drive, and booting it in the new computer. That is what I will try in a little while.

I just attempted my brothers idea and it did absolutely nothing so I repaired the win xp installation off the cd. that of course worked. i'm hoping not too many "quirks" will show up.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.