just need help if anyone know's how they do that...

im a college student now. and in our computer lab when i save a file or install something and the computer restart all the file that i save even what i stall are being deleted....
when i ask about that to my prof. they didn't tell how to do it...
can any one tell me please how to do that..
thnks..

sory if my english is bad...

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

It would be controlled imo by some network management software. Something like a Thin Client or some similar software. Basically the Management Software would know what programs or files are allowed on that Computer, and would install or unistall, delete or replace any files found or missing that should be there.

This Wikipedia article might offer some more guidance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_image_control

A little vague on the subject, but sounds like that to me.

It can't be done on a normal OS I'm affraid, (well not Windows). It is possible via group policy and local security policy to totally "lock down" a PC, but not specify files or programs for removal to my knowledge.

Regards, David

It's a piece of software that they have installed on the machines. The high school I went to has this so that way when the computer is restarted it is brought back to the original state. A lot of schools do this because students install games and bloated software. There's many types of software like this but there is no way around it that I know of from a limited user account.

Just save your files to your student network drive. And if there is a specific game you want to play install it on a cd and then copy it to your network drive. Thats what everyone at the high school I went to did. Luckily my college doesn't have this.

It would be controlled imo by some network management software. Something like a Thin Client or some similar software. Basically the Management Software would know what programs or files are allowed on that Computer, and would install or unistall, delete or replace any files found or missing that should be there.

This Wikipedia article might offer some more guidance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_image_control

A little vague on the subject, but sounds like that to me.

It can't be done on a normal OS I'm affraid, (well not Windows). It is possible via group policy and local security policy to totally "lock down" a PC, but not specify files or programs for removal to my knowledge.

Regards, David

Nope it can be done on a normal OS. In fact what OS isn't normal? Read my post after your's. It definitely isn't a group policy or security policy. It's definitely a Security Software. I'm wondering if this type of software creates a back up of the OS and stores it some where on the hard drive or server and when you turn the computer off it loads the back up.

Apologies, my writing was inaccurate, what I meant was it requires specific software, rather than through what's included with OS Software.

Regards, DaveB

Dude, just go buy a portable drive like; flash usb, smart stick, etc. and save all your works in it, then when you want to use it plug it back in. If the the size of the "works" you want to save is too big for the portable, then get some cd/dvd. Schools, and other Institutions Dont want people to dl and save tons of files into their computers, so the administrator must have set the "network" to perform certain "task" after certain events happen. There is no way to bypass them. So be flexible and buy portable drive or recordable media. Its better if you just get a Laptop or a Notebook. Good luck buddy.

Dude, just go buy a portable drive like; flash usb, smart stick, etc. and save all your works in it, then when you want to use it plug it back in. If the the size of the "works" you want to save is too big for the portable, then get some cd/dvd. Schools, and other Institutions Dont want people to dl and save tons of files into their computers, so the administrator must have set the "network" to perform certain "task" after certain events happen. There is no way to bypass them. So be flexible and buy portable drive or recordable media. Its better if you just get a Laptop or a Notebook. Good luck buddy.

The network doesn't preform anything. It's software. I'm actually still looking into this to find out what the name of the software is.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.