Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum since I don't know what's going on, but if I'm in the wrong place, I apologize ahead of time.

My CD drive does not recognize game discs at all; they go in, spin around, and that's that. No autoplay, and they don't show up in My Computer (just shows blank cd drive, not the game title).

Having said that, I can use other cd's and dvd's in the drive, so I don't think it can possibly be the drive. Right? Gahhh!

I'm not installing any new games, just trying to play games that have been on here for a while and that I've played on here before.

I hope this is enough information . . .
ANY help you can give me will be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

What are your computer specs please.
Also have you just double clicked the CD drive icon? you could try right click then explore.
Try going the long way round, by finding the game shortcut, on your desktop or through the 'start' button.

My computer is a Gateway laptop, and yes, I've tried double clicking the CD drive icon, and get a message telling me there is no CD, to please insert one and retry. But the CD is in there (of course), just not registering for some reason. I've tried to access the drive via the game icon (shortcut) and via the menu, same thing; the CD isn't recognized, and I'm told to insert and retry.

The CD's do work on my friend's desktop, so it's not the CD's. And as I said in the original post, other CD's work fine in this drive (photos, music, vid, text files, etc.).

Help!!! ???

Oh, and I almost forgot, thank you so much for responding! :D

And if you rclick your cd drive and select properties, do you have an Autoplay tab? No? Then click Start, Run and enter SERVICES.MSC Scroll down to Shell Hardware Detection and make sure this service is Started and set to Automatic.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.