Hello all. I recently had to re-partition a drive and used XP disk management to do so. Prior to that I backed up the system drive in another computer using the Windows Backup utility. I then removed all of the logical and primary partitions and created a single primary partition on the drive. I did a quick format and then proceeded to restore the backup to the newly partitioned drive. When I popped the drive back into the old computer it would not boot at all. I used the WinXP quick boot disk that is avail for download at download.com which has ; boot.ini , ntldr etc... and when I boot from the floppy I can boot right in to the previous system that was restored from the backup. My question is how can I prepare the drive to boot without the floppy boot disks assistance? I want to avoid having to reinstall Windows XP because of the amount of applications that were on the previous installation. Thanks for any advice or tips it will be very appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

don't know what the quick boot has ,but you need to get to the winxp recovery consul command prompt or a command prompt on the quickboot and type in, FIXBOOT ,or FIXMBR

Did you check to make sure the new partition is active?

You can use a win98 boot disk to do this at the command prompt type FDISK and follow the on screen menus. It may warn you that the you have no active partitions you need to select the primary and set active remove the cd and reboot

The partition is set to active. How do I access the XP recovery console? The quickboot floppy disk I have only has four basic files needed to boot. Can you access the recovery console one XP has loaded?

no recovery is either loaded separate or you need the winxp cd to rune it , I did see a link once to a download of just the recover ,maybe do a google for it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.