Cannot open certain websites, including hotmail

Member Avatar
chadwickstein
Newbie Poster
1 post since Jul 2004
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

I'm running windows xp professional, and I've been having trouble accessing web-based email services (hotmail, yahoomail, and also a private microsoft exchange server web interface) from my computer. I've tried using both firefox and internet explorer. When attempting to load my hotmail or yahoo inbox in ie, the page simply never loads. When I try in Firefox, I get an error message that reads "the document contains no data." I am able to access my inbox at the exchange server, but am unable to send emails.

I also can't access my online banking (fleet.com), and have had trouble posting to some tech support forums. I thought it was a problem with secure sites, but I am able to access some secure sites.

All of these services are fully available from a friend's computer running on the same internet connection, through the same router, so it's a problem specific to my machine. Any help?

Member Avatar
caperjack
I hate 20 Questions
13,851 posts since Aug 2003
Reputation Points: 875 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 902 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 69 [?]
Team Colleague

check the security section of these fourms and get the suggested program to check for malware/spyware .

Member Avatar
crunchie
Most Valuable Poster
13,079 posts since Feb 2004
Reputation Points: 990 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 1,031 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 5 [?]
Team Colleague
Featured

Are you running a proxy of any kind? I run proxomitron & had the same problems before configuring it correctly.

Member Avatar
tigrrboxer
Newbie Poster
8 posts since Jul 2004

This is a very common problem, and I tried EVERYTHING. Forums all over the world are overflowing with desperate XP'ers banned from their own hotmail, online banks, various other high security sites.

Finally I cracked it. I'm once again accepted into the flock!

Follow the instructions in this to the letter. Every boring step. It's very simply and clearly explained. And it WORKS:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];246725

Good luck!

Member Avatar
tigrrboxer
Newbie Poster
8 posts since Jul 2004

Note: the link came out a bit strange! Go to the Microsoft KB (http://support.microsoft.com), and choose "advanced search". Search by article number - it's 246725.

Member Avatar
Parcan
Newbie Poster
9 posts since Aug 2004

Hi Guys,
I am having a really bad problem, i Have tryed to view certain websites and i get a page ending in dns error internet explorer,

The site im trying to view is, www.e7even.com

I have tryed pinging it and everything,

I have been looking at my network setting 'ipconfig' and my default gate way is 217.137.214.142 which is a search page with virus's etc etc on it......

I can view it through anonimizer but not normally, why??????

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Thnaks Alot,

Parcan.

Member Avatar
tigrrboxer
Newbie Poster
8 posts since Jul 2004

Parcan, try the steps outlined in the article I mentioned. I had exactly the same problem along with several thousand pariahs, and basically it was resolved. I imagine that you can't access any online bank accounts as well. I hope this works; if not, let us know.

Member Avatar
Parcan
Newbie Poster
9 posts since Aug 2004

Hi, (Again)
I have tryed doing that but it still dosent work the box wasent checked before and microsoft told me to check it so i did, i have just turned it back off.

Any other ideas????

PLEASE HELP ME!!!! :rolleyes:

Parcan

Member Avatar
bartderus
Newbie Poster
1 post since Jan 2005

Register the following system files
Click Start > Run
Type “regsvr32 softpub.dll (w/o quotes)
Press OK
Repeat the above steps for the following:
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

Those helped for me....
Grz Bartderus

Member Avatar
JulesH
Newbie Poster
3 posts since Jan 2005

Ok- I would love to follow the advice from microsoft, except I cant even access anything in the microsoft domain - when I do it just claims "waiting for support.microsoft.com" and then goes to a blank page..........can you post that article here?

Thank you!

Member Avatar
caperjack
I hate 20 Questions
Team Colleague

Ok- I would love to follow the advice from microsoft, except I cant even access anything in the microsoft domain - when I do it just claims "waiting for support.microsoft.com" and then goes to a blank page..........can you post that article here?

Thank you!

First some fourm use info ,when you respond in the way you did we don't really know what you are refering to as there are more than one microsoft link posted in the above post ,so what you should do is click on the reply/Quote box at the lower right of the post you are refering to !thanks .

Did you try suggestion in post #9

Member Avatar
caperjack
I hate 20 Questions
Team Colleague

This is a very common problem, and I tried EVERYTHING. Forums all over the world are overflowing with desperate XP'ers banned from their own hotmail, online banks, various other high security sites.

Finally I cracked it. I'm once again accepted into the flock!

Follow the instructions in this to the letter. Every boring step. It's very simply and clearly explained. And it WORKS:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];246725

Good luck!

Fix for the link above
Microsoft
for those who can't axcess the site this is what is in it .!!
Cannot Gain Access to Certain Security-Enhanced Web Sites
Article ID : 246725
Last Review : September 15, 2003
Revision : 1.0
This article was previously published under Q246725
On this Page
SYMPTOMS
CAUSE
RESOLUTION
MORE INFORMATION

SYMPTOMS
When you try to gain access to a security-enhanced Web site, you may receive the following error message:
The page cannot be displayed

Cannot find server or DNS error
CAUSE
This error message can be caused by incorrect security settings in Internet Explorer.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue: 1. Quit Internet Explorer (if it is running).
2. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet Options.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. Scroll down to the Security section.
5. Clear the Use PCT 1.0 selection.
6. Clear the Use TLS 1.0 selection.
7. Click OK.

MORE INFORMATION
Some Web sites do not support the PCT 1.0 and TSL 1.0 protocols.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0
• Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition

Top of Page

Keywords: kberrmsg kbenv kbprb KB246725

Member Avatar
Parcan
Newbie Poster
9 posts since Aug 2004

Hey Guys,
I am still having the same problem i have tried all the fixes in this section and guess what it still dosent work, i have deleted all my pop up blockers, we have recently purchesed a new computer it worked to begin with but has stopped again!!!!

Again sugestions?

Parcan........ :!:

Member Avatar
caperjack
I hate 20 Questions
Team Colleague

Hey Guys,

Again sugestions?

Yeah ! sell you computer and get a big screen tv its more user friendly ,I thinking about doing it !LOL :)

Member Avatar
caperjack
I hate 20 Questions
Team Colleague

Hey Guys,
I am still having the same problem i have tried all the fixes in this section and guess what it still dosent work, i have deleted all my pop up blockers, we have recently purchesed a new computer it worked to begin with but has stopped again!!!!

Again sugestions?

This problem could occur because of Spyware , go on over to the Security section of this fourm and post you problem along with a hijackthis log .
Spyware & Trojans and Other Nasties
Please Don't post the hijackthis log in this section Thanks .

Please do this.
Download 'Hijack This!'. HijackThis
Save it in a convenient permanent folder such as C:\HJT\, double click HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

Your copy of HijackThis needs to be in a folder of it's own. When HJT fixes anything, it makes backups of the original files in the folder it is in. Since Temporary folders are emptied now and then (the files are DELETED), it would not be a good idea to have your backups there. Those backups would be VITAL to restoring your system if something went wrong in the FIX process!

1. Please go to you're 'My Documents' folder, right-click and select 'New > Folder' then name the folder 'HJT'.

2. Copy and paste HijackThis.exe to the new folder.

3. Close ALL windows except HJT

4. SCAN with HJT

5. POST the new log in this thread using 'Add Reply'

DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES OR CLICK "FIX CHECKED" UNTIL WE CHECK THE LOG, AS SOME OF THE FILES ARE LEGIT AND VITAL TO YOUR COMPUTER'S HEALTH

Member Avatar
Parcan
Newbie Poster
9 posts since Aug 2004

Thanks alot Cyperjack that was what it was,

Ta (and i dont think ill be selling my computer for a big screen t.v weve all ready got one lol!!!! :lol: )

Parcan :lol:

Member Avatar
sheryl08
Newbie Poster
7 posts since Jan 2005

I did what you said too and it didn't work? My computer has been doing this since November. When I'm at school I'm on a LAN and I can't get into my email, banking, ect. When I'm at home on dial-up I can access them from the same computer? Please help!! Boggled~Sheryl :eek:

Member Avatar
Parcan
Newbie Poster
9 posts since Aug 2004

It's ok i have recently signed up to a new internet provider!!!!

Member Avatar
Parcan
Newbie Poster
9 posts since Aug 2004

I did what you said too and it didn't work? My computer has been doing this since November. When I'm at school I'm on a LAN and I can't get into my email, banking, ect. When I'm at home on dial-up I can access them from the same computer? Please help!! Boggled~Sheryl :eek:

Hi sheryl (hoped i spelled that right) i would try speaking to your ISP as its usually them, who are you with????

Member Avatar
sheryl08
Newbie Poster
7 posts since Jan 2005

Everything's been working perfectly! I even ordered Microsoft Office Pro 2003, a jump drive (256 mb), a floppy drive and a 4-port Hub for my laptop.

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: