I recently built up a new system and have been trying to install xp but i keep getting "cannot copy (filename), press enter to retry, esc to skip, F3 to quit setup". when i press enter to retry, which could be from 1 to 101 times, i get various blue screens of death, or a black screen with a cursor. this happens with both xp home and xp pro. I've even tried to install 98 first so i could then do an upgrade, but it keeps hanging. I'm wondering if maybe my ram is dodgy?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi,

Try cleaning your cd with screen cleaner or similar, then put it back in drive and see what haqppens. Sounds like either a dirty or scratched cd.

both discs are in perfect condition but thanks. i think i've found the problem... faulty ram.

This problem can occur when you burned your windows installation discs using the 'on-the-fly' mode.. Try using a temporary hard-disk image while burning so that your burn software doesn't mess up with erroneous files!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.